Unveiling the Unbroken Empire

The barren wastelands of Daravin, ruled by mad raiders and bandit Kings.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Oliver
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2078
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2099

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:28 am

Searing 50th, 4617

There were a lot of ruins in Daravin, which gave Oliver an opportunity to fulfill his routes as well as accomplishing his tasks. He was sent by the Remedy to drive away any local Dranoch cells that were within the area. Supposedly, agents of the Court of Dusk or even rogue Dranoch who had not fed in a long time. They lingered in every area, including the shadowy realms of the Daravinic cities and even more so in the Badlands; a land driven by anarchy and animalistic rites.

It would be the perfect place for Dranoch to lurk, to make progeny and to feed upon the many souls that lingered, including the odd Entente or hedge mage who had enough sustenance to ensure that their power would grow. A dangerous threat that lingers could only get much worse, from a little sapling to a giant tree capable of spreading its seeds and pollen around the world, until eventually it would become a threat that is essentially uncurable.

He came across Rustbucket, where he busted into an old western style tavern. A man who looked like some kind of explorer himself, appeared to be pissed; Oliver was intrigued and eventually settled his stuff down, startling the man for attention.

"Eckk, What the..."

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

"The only thing that's frightening around here are your manners, now if you'll excuse me I'm supposed to be finding an ancient ruin of some sort..."

"You might want to be careful, there may be beasts lingering about"

The Lorien man was shocked by the expression as Oliver pulled out his rifle, and turned on its safety feature. The young Lorien man was worried at first "Erm... Don't get me wrong, it looks like you're going into some kind of battle, pardon me... What did you say your name was?"

"I didn't... Although I believe in being prepared..."

"For what?" The man quizzed in curiosity.

"Evil." He stared at the man in his eyes with sternness as if he was meaningful when he said that; it was menacing enough to make the man nervous in front of him. Perhaps that's exactly what he was going for, it had either been to show off or to simply warn him about what he was facing "I... Must say, I don't believe in all that hocus pocus... Beasts and..."

"Dranoch?"

"Well, that's a different story..." The Lorien man laughed nervously as Oliver kept his eyes on him.

"Do you know the area well?"

"Yes, I've been here for a year, trying to complete my research for Gothenburg, although it has been somewhat slow, my men have been to the site and they havent returned..."

Oliver thought for a moment as this was a great opportunity, he needed help navigating the land and culling the threat that lingered in the Badlands, but it appeared that he wasn't going to give this up for free "I'll help you, if you help me... Sounds fair?"

"Armed muscle might help..."

"Call me Oliver..."

"Eric... So... That's that settled, all we need is."

"The way to whichever ruin you're searching for? You must know right?"

"Well, yes, only a slight problem..."

Oliver could tell already what had gone wrong, perhaps the badlanders were causing trouble yet again; only it appeared they were just badlanders, although he had to be careful about revealing too much; the Lorien man appeared to be friendly, but he could've also turned him into the any kind of Sunderer or Badlander for profit. After all, the badlands was not the place for the faint hearted, only those with shifty morals appeared to survive for it was natural selection and survivalist instinct that enforced others to thrive in these desolate barren lands.

The next day, they travelled over to the ruin dedicated to the remains of an old empire that crumbled under the feet of hubris; some of it appeared to be empty desert for miles away, but most of the architecture appeared to be there for the most part "Well, which of these ruins were you investigating? It would help if you started describing what your men told you."

"How do I know that, they never came back."

Oliver expected the worst as a man who never comes back on an expedition is usually either food for the Dranoch or a missing cause by an unmistakable creature. He entered the ruins with caution as Eric cowered behind him, shivering and shaking with such fear.

"Y'know... I've never had any feelings like this, it's almost like having goosebumps all over again, only much worse."

"Will you keep quiet..." Oliver blasted agitatedly as Eric's chattering began to annoy him even further; it was a lost cause of concentration as Eric proceeded to explore the area. Eric wandered off, trying to see what treasure or knowledge he could gather. He had found a device, dedicated to artificing from the old ages.

"Oliver... Look, it's fascinating isn't it." He began to tinker with the device, oblivious to the danger that lingered in the ruin.

The red eyes in the darkness would open as the badlanders appeared to be awoken from their slumber, Oliver would look out as Eric was consumed by uncovering the knowledge of the artificing gadget he had found; a large golem that appeared to be unfinished. Oliver widened his eyes as they appear to be ready to strike "Eric... Get the fuck out now!"

"What?"

Oliver took a shot from his enkindled rifle, spraying a burst of flame in the direction of the creature that tried to dive at Eric as fast as lightning; a shaken Eric hid behind Oliver coweringly "Oh god, not this!"

"Right now, we really need to leave!"

Eric and Oliver scrambled as fast as he could out of the ruins; firing a large flamelance from his rifle that he proceeded to use to leave a small trail of fire that the Dranoch refused to cross. Oliver appeared to be hit as a calcified claw slashed his abdomen, leaving him to bleed as he chose to escape. A final breath from the Dranoch that invaded that area as it appeared that Eric and Oliver would escape with their lives intact. Eric's worry wasn't completely resolved as he noticed the gash in his body; it appeared to have ran deep as his chest ran red with blood.

"Oliver..."

"It's alright..." He winced, hoping he could cauterise the wound with his flame magic; but it appeared he was still weak. Eric suddenly let his Nightorch appear, which startled Oliver for a moment. He began to have a flashback of the Dunash that tore Samuel's very heart out; his eyes widen in fear as he wasn't use to such a thing, but then he could feel the power of those souls, channeling through him as Eric casted Imbue on Oliver. His wounds appeared to be healing slowly, enough to sustain Oliver.

Eric appeared to be ashamed of this secret that he had kept, but it appeared to be something that Oliver wanted a conversation about. The experience in Icheron had haunted him again after so many years of being free; it had been another revelation, he would finally sense some closure to. For the last two years, Eric would continue to travel with Oliver, despite their differences. Oliver could never forget the deed that Eric had done, but it wasn't fully over. He still had so many questions to answer.

"So, why don't you tell me a bit on why you're here in Daravin?"

"Archaeology, I teach it and study it as part of Lorien's cultural development..."

Oliver snickered, knowing exactly where he was going with this "I mean I get that, but... What are you really doing here?"

Eric began to get defensive and sighed "Ugh... Ok, I may not look like an explorer, or an adventurer, or a gunfighter... But I am proud of what I am! And if you don't like it, then you can go home, go on there's the door."

"And what are you?"

"I... Am an Archivist!"

Oliver blinked for a second "That doesnt answer my question... I mean, you possess some form of dark magic..."

"So?" Eric scoffed at the thought of giving any sense of information, but it appeared there was a sense of unease from Oliver's demeanor, that he decided to give him the answer "Ok fine... I was born in Icheron, I grew up in Natanis, my mother and father were turned into Dunash whilst exploring, but I could sense one final urge of retreat from my mother. She gave me this mark, but I couldn't do anything to save her from the terrible fate. I feel like a failure"

"I'm sorry to hear that..."

"So, I've shared my secret... What about yours?" Eric pondered.

"In due time..." Oliver left the route open as he began to feel some sort of connection to Eric, their relationship would grow from friendship into something much more; however, Oliver had responsibilities with the Remedy, if he was called he would need to serve. Eric had to understand that at least for their relationship would become a complicated one; they were two star crossed paths.

What would become of this relationship?

word count: 1587
Alexander Cross
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1155&p=5205#p5205
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1201

Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:08 am

XP: N/A

Magical XP: N/A

Skill Debt XP: -5 (Total remaining skill debt: 65)

Pieces of Knowledge:
  • Gunslinging: Reloading times matter.
  • Gunslinging: Precision and Aim
  • Gunslinging: Point Blank Shot
  • Sigilic Pyromancy: Flamelance - Point Blank Usage
  • Sigilic Pyromancy: Flamelance - An Alternative form of Ranged Weaponry
  • Sigilic Pyromancy: Enkindle - Do not lose your weapon.
Loot: N/A

Injuries/Ailments: A slash scar across the chest

Comments:
Shoot those dranochs dead. Loving the beginning of relationship between Oliver and Eric, looking forward to their future adventures. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, let me know. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 99

Return to “The Imperial Badlands”