Changing Beliefs pt 1

The decentralized lands of the Entente, and the bulk of the Empire.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Khaori
Character Sheet: https://www.atharen.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=557

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:04 pm

Changing Beliefs pt 1
26 of Searing, 120 AoS

The people of this country must be sick. At least, that was the thought that ran through Khaori’s head whenever he was forced to cover up before running errands for Etro’s household. Searing is such a hot season, too hot to wear a cloak or any piece of clothing that covers a man or woman from head to toe. But such is the culture of Daravin; Khaori learned fast that the flashy, almost promiscuous (and fashion-forward) attire of his homeland was almost too much for this hell hole to bear. Considering he had no other clothing that suited this new place, he would wear his silky cloak whenever he left the house. The material of the cloak never made him hot or sweat his weight in the water yet the fae’norai was uncomfortable each time he went out in it. He was practically a plant, after all, breathing throughout his entire body in the same way humans breathed through their nostrils. The sun is his sustenance and the only time the young lord could receive it is in the comfort of home where Daravin officials did not roam.

It did not take him long to learn that Lyonesse was a hotspot for the entente. He knew little to nothing about the nobles personally, but recognizing one wasn’t the most difficult task. They do a good job putting the common folk in their place. Even better with handling slaves. Khaori does his best staying out of their way and saying little to nothing. It’s not like he can communicate with the nobles anyway, the languages of Daravin hardly flowing off his tongue. He had difficulty with even common, so it’s best said that he has problems communicating with most people. Khaori still tries though, hence running errands as well. The cloak was suffocating, however, the lack of communication with others was just the same.

There was a small town not too far off from the place he took residence. Probably one of the more ‘happier’ ghettos with enough money to buy sturdier material to build houses and shops. The colors of the buildings were much more pleasant as well--beige, a lapis color, and even hints of blush were very much present. Despite the ambiance, these colors brought to life, the condition of the buildings and town as a whole could never be overpowered. Even now as the fae’norai passed through, he felt sickened by the smell of animal dung and body odor of bypassers. The uncleanliness of the streets prompted Khaori to carefully tiptoe throughout, not to mention there were many times he wondered whether or not the thick wet streams of red flowing down cracks of the street were something other than red wine or paint since there was always a certain smell to it.

His destination, the market area, was a real sight too. The tarps that hung over the stands were always broken and holding on to moisture from the previous night’s rain. So you can imagine the dark spots of mold that began to grow on it. Fruits stands and any other products were always bruised and dirty with a stench. A dying stench that always welcomed maggots and flies that were more lively than the people. The people were always so quiet too and didn’t speak much. Not even towards one another. That’s why he felt so comfortable here. The people were always so quiet and spoke very little, only enough to strengthen his common each time he visited.

“What is the beef?” He asked the butcher while clutching his basket.

“All of it.” The man answered coldly, pointing toward different assortments of meat in a variation of colors.”You pick one and it is yours for a very cheap price.” The stranger would sound irritated the entire time he talked.

“I need beef, all cannot be beef.” Khaori said as he slid a hand in the air over the produce.”Do you have any fresh?”

“What do you mean fresh? It’s all fresh.”

“But this looks--”

“LISTEN.”The man turned his full attention on Khaori, pointing a finger caked with filth on it at him.”I’m not here to answer all your questions and offer the finest we have here. Pick something and GO. Just GO!” The man raised his voice.

The fae’s blood began to boil. He was just about tired of this place and the unprovoked hostility the butcher of some kind was beginning to show. He didn’t even want to be here, aside from doing the people he stayed with favor and improving his speech, there was no other reason for him to mingle with people so below him.”You imbecile, you are a complete waste of a person. There is no need to wonder why you’re in such poor predicaments. With this attitude, you will rot in your shit and piss!” Khaori leaned over the meat to yell at him in eldhan, which meant the man was not fazed whatsoever.

“You trying to curse me or something?”

“If I could, I would!”This time, the fae spoke in common.

Khaori’s words seemed to anger the man, who sucked his teeth and growled at the fae before raising his meaty hands. The man was even more upset than before, but Khaori didn’t care. He was ready to put up a fight. After all, he’s been through, he was finally ready to stand on his own two feet. The man’s hand was coming straight for him, yet he did not budge. He only scowled at what he thought to be a useless human being.

“You fuckin’ piece of--” The butcher couldn’t finish his words or even his violent reaction. A large, robust hand of a man grabbed the butcher’s own.”Fuuuuuuuuuck!” The butcher screamed as that same hand began to crush his own. Khaori swore he heard something break in the man’s hand as a result.”Who do you think you are?” The hand released the butcher, giving Khaori a reason to look at who was crazy enough to commit such a heinous act on his behalf.

His jaw dropped.

Before he was a pale elfling, almost deathly pale, with eyes that flickered like a snake. The elfling’s thick black hair was unkempt and he had stubble that was hoping to pass as a beard soon. He was taller than Khaori --but he’s always been taller-- and bulkier too since the last time they’ve seen each other.

Xethe.

Apart from him wanted to feel grateful, but the young lord couldn’t feel anything more than rage. Even more, than he felt for the butcher.
“So you sell faulty meat and hit your customers for it? Is this the kind of business you’re running?” Xethe ignored the butcher’s previous question, cooly sliding his hand down by his side.”Do you know how many people are sick now because Lady Larenne served them your disgusting pork? She wants her money back and she wants it now.”

“I ain’t giving her shit, tell her to go fu-”

Xethe was quicker than the man, raising the same hand again and backhanding the butcher in the face this time.”I’m not your messenger, you either give me her money or I break your leg as she ordered.”This time, the butcher did not say anything. With a busted lip and bruised cheek, he did as he was told. Khaori did not see where he pulled the money from, only the part where he counted it and placed every coin in Xethe’s hand.

“Lady Lerrenne said she doesn’t want to see you in this market anymore, pack up and leave. Immediately.” Xethe did not wait for an answer, he turned to leave without a word. Not without Khaori though. Still silent, Xethe grabbed the lord’s arm and pulled him along. The fae tried to object, jerking himself back and playing almost a game of tug of war. In the end, he lost. The elfing’s grip was too tight. There was nothing he could do except scowl at the back of the other man’s head and follow him throughout the town for as long as he could take it.

Soon enough, there would be a moment of weakness--the elfling would loosen his grip, giving Khaori enough time to slide his arm back and swiftly smack the man on his back. SMACK! It was a hard hit, not hard enough to leave a bruise, nonetheless, it would leave a nice red mark.”Idiot!”The fae shouted in a thick accent,” how could you? You leave me.” His eyes swell up with unexpected tears that would soon run down his cheeks, the pain he felt since arriving in Daravin leaving with it. Unintentionally releasing the calamity and crying over his misfortunate events for the first time is just what he needed; a heavyweight was lifted off his chest, indeed. However, he couldn’t forget or forgive what the taller man before him had done.

Xethe was not just anyone, he was someone vital to nobles like himself. Khaori would not admit aloud, believing it showed weakness, but Xethe was an important figure in his life. He relied on the elfling to protect him and he failed. Khaori lacked physical strength, there was no way he could protect himself against the group of bandits, Xethe was supposed to be physically capable of doing so.

The two paused in a dirty alleyway. Rats played at their feet while the sound of people passing by collided with the sound of water trickling down the walls of the buildings they stood in between. They stood there for quite a while, Khaori trying to collect himself so that he wouldn’t seem cowardly in front of the man he hated most right now. That same man appeared unphased by both his words and crying. The fae bawled his hand into a fist to keep himself from hitting Xethe again for being so heartless.

“It wasn’t intentional and you know that.” Xethe’s tone was low and very calm.”There was not I could do.”

“Nothing you could do? You could save me!” Khaori shouted until he strained his voice.”You could find me, save me!” He took another smack at Xethe’s back.

“YOU DON’T THINK I TRIED?” The half sil’norai finally faced the lord, veins popping out of his face as he raised his voice for the first time.”You were my responsibility, Rhana trusted me and I let her down. I’m just as upset as you are. Now, stop your whining and follow me.” Before Khaori could utter another word, Xethe snatched his arm and pulled him forward through the alley.

Soon enough, the two would reach a rickety tavern, the outside’s built was falling apart--the only thing keeping it from collapsing was a bunch of nails sporadically placed throughout the entire exterior. Upon entering the building, they would have to watch their step so as not to fall through holes in the floor.

“What is this place…” Khaori cringed as he kept himself close to Xethe.

“The only place that took me in…”Xethe lifted his head higher and higher as they approached the bar. Khaori assumed he was trying to look over the counter.

“Lady Lerrene? We’ve got company.” The elfling called out.

"Do you believe in Magic?"
word count: 2018
Haldir
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=774
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=778
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=823

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:36 pm

Oh Dear, you seem to have contracted a REVIEW!

XP:
  • 5 {No Magic}
Pieces of knowledge:
  • Languages: How to argue in Common
    Lyonesse: The ghettos aren't in good condition
    Investigation: Xethe isn't dead and gone
Loot: n/a

Injuries: n/a

Comments:
  • If you have any questions, comments or concerns, let me know. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 58

Return to “The Southern Marches”