A Study of Necromancy Ⅰ

The capital of the Kingdom of Lorien, and Atharen's largest city.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Haldir
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=774
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=778
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=823

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:40 pm

☠ 10th of Ash, Year 120, Cinderfall ☠
Company: My father and wounded men| Theme: | Thoughts: Im ready| Mood: Curious, Attentive

☠ Upon my arrival to the family estate, I found that the staff were in a flurry. Men and women scurrying about with medical supplies as well as with a sense of urgency. My father instructed me to join him today as he wanted to begin my training in the family trade of necromancy. He felt that for the longest time I had neglected the magic and was fed up with my lack of discipline as he called it.

I found him out in the garden, which was transformed into a makeshift medical hospital. I was surprised that there were even patients here that needed help, let alone to be saved with necromancy. But regardless of my apprehensions, as the practices of necromancy itself were illegal, I came with an open mind ready to learn.

It was like a warzone in our own garden. I watched as nurses and physicians moved about and were helping those who needed it. "Over here Cyrus." I heard him call, standing at a table with a man on it, my father staring at his leg it seemed. When I joined him, I could clearly see the condition of the man on the table.

"What happened?" I asked, immediately going into doctor mode, leaning close to get a better look at the injury. "A mercenary company we have a medical contract with was ambushed by some rogue mages in a skirmish and this gentleman took an Elementalist's flame. He's stable but if you don't act quickly he will no doubt lose his leg from infection."

I glanced at him and quickly got to work, reaching for my surgeon's kit, only for my father to block my hand. "Oh no, you will be using necromancy to aid him, and only necromancy my son." he implied, pointing to a set of tools on a surgical table next to him. "These will be you instruments for this study. You have Sinew Foam, a set of Carving Sickles, and Embalmers Tongs." he said, watching me as I felt over each one.

"before you begin, I shall give a brief rundown on each. The Sinew Foam is made from organic tissue, be it living or dead. For this, you will need to make it, but it is an easy task and will how you will fix this man's leg. The Mortor and Pestel are aetherically infused so all you must do is grind the tissue into a paste. You want it to be almost milky in complexion, and soft in texture." he explained as he handed me the tool, then moving to sterilize the man's leg.

I would begin grinding the dead tissue in the motor up, the motion mimicking that of a baker mixing batter in a bowl. I watched as before my eyes the organic material begins to shift and breakdown, a paste forming, and I continued till it was as he described. After a few minutes, I had a milky foam paste to work with. My father watched, not saying a word but his eyes speaking for him. He was curious as to what I would do with the next tool.

"Now as you can see the man's leg is busted open, and both his tibia and fibula have broken. In order to rectify this, you will use the Embalming Tongs to set them back into place." he instructed handling the tool to me. "This too is aetherically infused and when used will make organic matter moldable." he added, watching as I took the tool and steadied my hand.

Taking hold of the exposed bone, my eyes widened in amazement as the bone indeed began to bend and soften as if it were clay, allowing me to bring the tibia bones together one by one. Without his instruction I took some of the sinew foam and gently applied it to the conjoined bones, watching as it formed over it.

"Immediately after using the foam you must carve the excess foam away, here." he said handing me one of the carving sickles. It was small enough to trim the extra foam off and onto a cloth. I was amazed as it looked as if the bone had never been broken. "Fascinating" I exclaimed, a smirk of intrigue forming on my face, which made my father laugh a bit.

I proceeded to mend the fibula bone in the same manner, using tender care to ease both pieces back into place with the tongs, applying the foam to hold them in place and fill in the cracks and clean off the excess with the sickle. It was such an intricate process at first, but it seemed easily learnable with practice.

With his bones mended I proceeded to take care of the open flesh, using the foam to cover the part that had been burned away. Using one of the bigger carving blades, I shaved the excess away and watched as the aether enriched foam formed new skin. It was amazing to see and the mercenary was grateful for my help, for saving his leg. "Just be careful as to not too much pressure on it ok."

With that, I moved onto the next patient. I repeated the process for this one as well, taking the flesh from a cadaver and turning it into a foam. This one's injuries weren't too bad, major gashes but nothing that would be severe enough to harm the man. I found the Sinew foam to be easy to work with, lathering over each cut carefully, immediately shaving away the excess, and repeating.

The next one I went to was a man who had a bone jutting from his arm. Using the embalming tongs, I set the bone back into place, quickly adhering the Sinew foam over it, and using the smaller carving sickle to shave the unneeded foam back into the mortar. Using what was left of the foam, I applied it to the arm itself covering it and allowing the aetheric material to do its magic, replacing the skin that was damaged.

I was about to move to the next when my father grabbed me and pulled me to the side. "Now that you have had your hands-on lesson, how are you feeling about the craft, the magic of Necromancy?" he inquired, inspecting my work before fixing his glasses on me. "I didn't expect to be as fascinated with the art as I am, but I have to say this is a marvel. Imagine the medical procedures we can accomplish with this, grafting new skin from the dead, fixing broken bones with ease. Had I known this I wouldn't have neglected to practice it." I admitted, to which my father chuckled.

"Hence the reason I had you come today. I figured it would fascinate you if you were to see it in action for yourself with your own hands, am I right?" he inquired. My father always had a way of knowing just what I would do. He was intuitive like that. "I can agree that this was definitely my forte, and it will do wonders for my physician duties as well."

We both decided to leave the rest of the healing to his capable staff. My father instructed me to come again tomorrow as I would get more practice, and knowing him, it would be something I wouldn't expect as far as his training methods go. I was happy with this day, having enough experience to become great in the field of necromancy. I was interested in practicing more, but one could become overworked and burn out if not doing it in a moderate dosage.

Overall this day was a good one and I felt good about the knowledge I had gained in this hands-on lesson, hoping to see the fruit of this lesson bloom into something special. I could see this becoming very crucial in my medical practice, as it would allow me to do more for patients than just simple remedies and tonics all the time. Necromancy actually aids in healing others.

It also made me think that my mother would be happy, knowing that I found a way to aid the masses like she did. That realization made me look back into the estate courtyard, and there she was, admist the roses smiling, and giving me a wink. ☠

"Common Tongue"
"Silvain Tongue"
"Self-Thoughts"
word count: 1503
Fortuna

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm

YOUR REVIEW❊

"Cyrus"/Haldir

Lores
Necromancy: Using Embalming Tongs
Necromancy: Making Sinew Foam
Necromancy: Shaving the excess with Carving Sickles
Necromancy: Applying Sinew Foam to wounds
Necromancy: The Process of Applying Necromancy to Medicine
Medicine: Mending wounds with necromancy

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A

Points 5 magic XP

Comments: Nice thread, very grim work there. I love the many layers to Cyrus. He is quite the plague doctor.
This may be my favorite PC of yours yet.

word count: 104

Return to “Nivenhain”