[Couronne] Cleaning the Cathedral (Solo, Job Thread)

The decentralized lands of the Entente, and the bulk of the Empire.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Reima
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=244
Plot Notes: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=551
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=516

Fri May 29, 2020 4:39 pm

City: Amoren
Time: Late Afternoon

56th of Glade, 120 AV

Reima coughed softly into her hand, waving away at the dust that was still floating in the air around her. Today, as had become her routine, the fae found herself on hands and knees, dusting, scrubbing, and cleaning the small, rarely touched parts of the Cathedral of Amoren. The Praetor seemed to have an unusual obsession with Reima taking on this role, as he had assigned it to her every day since the 50th. This time she was in one of the back sections of the Cathedral, a wing which was mostly rooms meant for storage or holding private meetings between the more affluent members of the church. The halls were hung with landers that burned a bring cold light, illuminating the paintings of past figures of note. Each person in those paintings wore a turn, almost angry expression as they looked out from their frames in judgment of those who past.

Currently, she found herself cleaning one frame in particular. It was a beautifully carved piece, intricate like twisting knots that traced all the way around the picture it contained. The painting was so large that Reima had required the assistance of a passing brother to reach the very top portion. Now, thankfully, she just had the bottom portion of the frame and she would be finished.

"It was a beautiful lecture you gave Sister Keela." A voice drifted out from one of the open rooms down the hall. "I truly believe I am beginning to understand the prophecies thanks to you."

"It is just my duty Darlina, please think nothing of it." The words, while humble were underlay by a note of pride which Reima could just faintly detect. The fae shook her head, leaning into her work as she attempted to polish an especially difficult spot on the frame. It was not uncommon for the Brothers and Sisters of the Omen to offer smaller lessons for the adults of the city they worked in. For the most part, Reima ignored the exchanges between the people in these rooms, as at times they discussed private matters that could have been considered embarrassing were it to be spread. Thus she did what she could to ignore what was being said.

"Truly, thank you. I admit I am a bit... slow in my understanding. You should come by the manner again soon so that I can properly thank you."

Keela's laugh was like the tinkling of bells, and Reima could almost see her half-smile as she responded with, "You are very kind, but I would not want to put you in a complicated position. I know that Lady Ald is... quite selective with who passes the threshold of her home."

Reima paused in her work, tilting her head unconsciously at the Treveyn's name. It was as the sister said, the "Lady Ash" was indeed very selective with who she kept company with. She was quite private, outwardly devote from what Reima understood, though her actions left many of her fellow Tribunes to question just how deep that devotion ran. In the time she had been I the city Reima had not witnessed Brilan visit the Cathedral even once, and she had not sent for any of her brothers or sisters either.

"Lady Ald is simply preoccupied with her work." Darla's tone was somewhat dismissive, "Besides there isn't a need to disturb the Lady. Instead, you can come through the servant area. At least come and have some tea. I know that Jeb would like to see you again. He has not stopped talking about you since your last visit."

"He has?" Keela asked with a note of surprise, "But we barely spoke when I was there last."

Reima frowned as she wiped the last spot of dirt from the frame and stood, dusting off her knees before she moved down the line to the next painting. She had to stifle a groan as she looked up at the darkened metal, but with a sigh she began her work. It was slow, methodical, and it did not require much in the way of thought. This is what allowed her to continue her listing to the conversation a short way away.

"Indeed he has," there was a playful inflection in Darla's voice, "He keeps asking me when you will be back so you can tell him some more of your stories. His family was all farmers back 3 generations before he came to work in Lady Ald's manner, so he did not get much in the way of education until he started coming to the city. Besides..." her voice lowered conspiratorially, "I think he might have taken a liking to you."

There was a long pause before Keela answered again, her tone a bit odd to Reima's ears, "Be that as it may I am not sure it would be appropriate..."

"It is just tea Kella, and between friends no less."

The fae paused in her cleaning, turning her head fully now to look down the corridor. There was a shift in the tone of the conversation now, and she noted that this Darla had forgotten to add the typical 'sister' before Keela's name. While not strictly necessary, it implied that the conversation was heading in a more personal direction. That in and of itself should not have bothered Reima, but something about the situation was tugging at her old senses. She had spent years of her life training to protect her master from threats, known and unknown. She had learned to spot odd dips in conversations like this. Though she couldn't put her finger on exactly what the reason, this Darla really wanted Sister Keela to come to the Lady Ash's manner.

"Well..." The tone was hesitant, "If it is just for tea I suppose it would do no harm."

"Of course it wouldn't." The laughing reply came followed shortly by the sound of footsteps. Two women emerged, one dressed in the robes of the omen and the other as a house servant. The servant's clothing was immaculate Reima quickly realized. Not a spot of dirt or grime and the woman's blonde hair was washed and tied in a neat braid that fell down her back. She had hooked an arm in Keela's, and was talking excitedly about tea flavors and snacks as she lead the sister down the hall toward where Reima worked. Almost by reflex, the fae looked at Darla's hands, and with a chill, she noticed how clean her nails were.

Keela for her part looked uncomfortable. Her brown eyes did not show the same smile that lifted her lips slightly, and there was a slight pensiveness to her movements. As they past Reima barely hesitated before reaching out, grasping the hem of Keela's robes with one dust-covered hand. The action made Keela stop, halting Darla as well who looked back at the sister in confusion before she noticed the little Fae where she held the sister's robe. Her eyes narrowed for a moment before a smile returned.

"Is this one of the children you teach here Keela? She is very beautiful." The words, while kind, did not match the smile on the woman's face that had grown slightly tense.

The expression on Keela's face morphed quickly into shock, and then horror as she snatched her arm out of the woman's grasp, "T-tribune Reima, I am so sorry she didn't mean--"

With a wave of her hand, Reima dismissed what the sister was about to say, her face stony for a moment before finally relenting with a sigh, "It is alright. I suppose I should be used to this by now."

Darla's confusion seemed to grow, but as the seconds ticked by that confusion changed swiftly understanding and then finally settled on unease, "Tribune, I didn't mean disrespect I was just confused." She dipped her body in the most shallow curtsey Reima had ever seen. Still, at least she seemed somewhat regretful for calling a fae likely older than her a child.

Again Reima waved a hand absently, "It is a common mistake child. Do not let it trouble you." She turned her attention to Keela, "Were you going somewhere?"

Seeming to snap out of her embarrassing silence the sister nodded slowly, "Oh, um yes. Darla invited me to have tea with one in Lady Ald's manner, in the servant's area of course." The last part she added quickly, uncomfortable now when she spoke it aloud.

Reima spared a glance for Darla before motioning at the frame next to her, "I was going to ask if you could assist me with my work if you were not busy. As you can see I am at a small disadvantage." the fae allowed a small smile to creep on her lips, an expression which wasn't mirrored by either woman, "But I do not wish to interrupt your plans..."

"No, that is quite alright." It was Darla who spoke. She spared a small smile at Reima before shrugging at Keela, "It does not have to be tonight. We can perhaps meet on one of your nights off?"

Sister Keela, obviously relieved, nodded swiftly, "Yes, perhaps that would be better."

"It is settled then." The smile was back on Darla's face once more as she dipped her head at Reima and Keela in turn, "When I come for our next lesson we can set a date then. Does that sound good?"

"Yes, thank you Darla I will look forward to it."

Reima stared after Darla as she turned and made her way. She focused on the way the woman moved, a slight sway to her hips and confidence that one did not usually see in servants. Beside her Keela shifted, turning fully to face Reima fully. Her hands fidgeted at the belt at her waist, not quite able to look at the fae when she turned to look at the sister.

"Tribune, how can I assist you?"

Reima looked Keela up and down for a moment, setting a hand on one hip as she glanced down the hallway where Darla had disappeared around a corner. "Go straight to the Praetor's office. Tell him everything that just transpired." Her tone was calm, but stern as she looked back at Keela who looked as if she wanted to protest, "Go now. Do not stop, and do not let anyone sidetrack you. If they complain tell them to speak with me. Do you understand?"

"I... Yes, but--" She cut off as the fae raised another hand and shook her head, "No but's. Speak to me if that woman speaks to you again. You may go."

Abruptly Reima turned, returning to her work on the frame. Behind her she could feel the Sister's eyes on her back, hesitating a few seconds longer than she should before hurrying off in the direction of the Praetor's office. Something was going on. It wasn't so much intuition as it was instinct. She just hoped that this time she could see the danger before it broke down the door.

word count: 1895
Leliana
Character Sheet: https://ranserarp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 2133#p2133

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:04 pm

Reima

Experience: 5 points

Knowledge: Intimidation: Status over stature
Intimidation: No nonsense persona
Leadership: Strict instructions
Investigation: Accidental eavesdropping
Investigation: Suspicion based on appearance
Investigation: Acting on a hunch

Injuries/Overstepping: None

Comments:
► Show Spoiler

Please edit your review request to show that it has been graded!

word count: 165

Return to “The Southern Marches”