Re: [Couronne] A Sermon, or a Test (Solo, Job Thread)

The decentralized lands of the Entente, and the bulk of the Empire.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Reima
Character Sheet: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=244
Plot Notes: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=551
Character Secrets: https://ransera.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=516

Sat May 30, 2020 11:53 am

City: Amoren
Time: Late Afternoon

60th of Glade, 120 AV

"What is it to be a follower of Ulendreaism?"

The room was small, just a few chairs with a table pushed against the back wall. The location was set down one of the easter corridors of the Cathedral, near where the Brothers and Sisters of Ulen gave their lessons to the children of Amoren every day. At the request of one of the sisters, Reima had taken on the role of teacher this day. Her audience? A group of children between 10-16 years of age. The group was a small one, made up mostly of the youth of crafters and merchants. Most seemed to be bored, for as she spoke she could see the slight glaze in their eyes as they stared not at her, but through her.

"What does it mean to say that we prepare for the coming of Ulen? How is it that we prepare?" Reima paused, gripping either side of the podium as she looked around at the kids who sat in various stages of restlessness. One boy went so far as to carve at the top of his desk with the small knife he kept in his boot. The Fae stared at this boy until the silence began to stretch uncomfortably. Eventually, he did look up and catching her expression quickly put the knife away and resettled himself.

Reima stared at the boy a few seconds longer before continuing, "If we look at the Words of our Scripture you will notice a certain phrasing appears again and again." At this she opened the book in her hand and flipped a few pages, pausing and pressing a finger on one page, "For this world is corrupt, filled with ill content and those who wish for what they have not earned. If such are found in the coming days of cleansing they shall be purged, and only those who have found for themselves their own path to perfection shall be spared Ulen's wrath." The pages were flipped again until another passage was noted, "He was a foolish man, one content to idle and let others do his work for him. I say to you, such as this will fall in the coming days, yet those servants who perfected their arts in the name of Ulen and have followed these teachings will be granted places within the new Empire."

Glancing up Reima looked at the still bored features, and she sighed, snapping the book close loud enough that two in the back of the room jumped. "You must prepare yourself for the coming days in whatever way you can. Nowhere in the Script is there an exact instruction given, and that is because Ulen knows that each of us must find their own path. What truly matters is not how you perfect yourself, but that you do so earnestly while following the teachings of Ulendreaism."

Clucking her tongue Reima raised a hand, reaching out with her mind to the Node she had placed outside the Cathedral. It was located just outside one of the main doors that lead out from the East Corridor, and as she spoke the air began to ripple and warp over her palm, "You might be asking yourself, what specifically could I do to perfect myself and prepare for the Prophecy's fulfillment?"

Aether began to flow rapidly inward toward the center of the rippling, the distortion becoming more and more apparent and catching the eye of several of the onlookers. "Let us say you are a smith and you learn the craft a wide arrange of tools and weapons, but the quality of those weapons never reached above the most passable quality. Would that be enough in Ulen's eyes?"

The eyes in the room were focused on the magic being worked, and Reima smiled as she raised her hand above her head. The distortion shifted as she moved, making the air shimmer like heat waves where it passed. "What if you were a seamstress that could sew beautiful dresses, but even when asked you refused to ever try to expand your skill beyond that?"

Closing her eyes Reima shifted her aether, the magic burning like fire as it raised from the rune carved on her chest and up her arm. Like a needle puncturing cloth, the aether slammed into the warping point in space, the air cracking as silver-blue lines of power spread out and shattered reality. Two-point sin spaces connected, and with a thrum of power only she could feel a window was opened to the outside world. Reima held the stream of aether with a practiced hand, her fingers curling slightly as she stared around at the children who no longer looked bored. One girl in the far back looked close to jumping out of her seat, the excitement nearly palpable to the fae even from this distance.

"Magic, the power to twist and turn the very fabric of the world to your very will. A gift to the mortals of Ransera to help us achieve this potential perfection that is so vital to our survival. The teachings of Ulendreaism are clear on this point. Those who practice the mystical arts are especially blessed, and the burden on them to improve themselves is perhaps even greater because of this."

The window was held open for a few seconds longer before Reima let it collapse with a pop. The ripples in the air dissipated in an instant and the upheld hand now came down to point palm forward toward the raptly listening audience, "With that said, is it only possible to please Ulen if you perfect just the magical arts?"

A hand in the back, the eager girl Reima realized, answered, "If we want to truly be prepared, we have to be able to use magic right? That is what my brother said."

Raising an eyebrow Reima let her hand rest on the book on the podium, "Lana was it? Who is your brother?"

"Mulock, he is a Halamveir." Lana said this with pride. It was obvious that she held her older brother in high regard. For Reima however? The Halamire were an existence that was not wholly righteous. She knew that there were many times that the military entity actually stood in opposition of the Omen, though never directly or publicly.

She did not answer for a short time, studying Lana until the Girl's smile began to slip away. At last, the fae nodded and looked away, "As magic was a gift of God, it of course follows that to learn the sacred arts would be pleasing and set you well on your way down the path expected of those of Ulendreaism. It is, however, not enough."

A finger was raised and Reima quoted to her students, "Let those who achieve greatness, yet improve themselves not be cast down as quickly as the vilest scourge in the mortal world." The quote was one Reima had memorized early on, as in some ways it felt like an admonished to herself. If she thought about it this was what had become of her. She had allowed herself to become lax, letting her skills dull after years of peace. Then, when the time came, she failed in her one sacred duty and her master was killed. She memorized this verse to remind herself that she could never, ever let herself fall prey to the sin of complacency.

"To be able to summon the power of magic is only the first step in the path. Think of the smith who could craft mediocre quality items, but none that could be considered truly great works. In the eyes of Ulendreaism he is found wanting, for while he might provide some service that is needed by the people because he himself allows himself to be content with mediocracy he has become a part of the plague which we seek to expunge from the world." Looking around Reima's eyes hardened, "Magic is power, a gift, and blessing that in and of itself gives you individual ability. If you do nothing with that gift then you are no better than the man who actively chooses to contribute nothing at all."

The loud gong of a bell could be heard and Reima was cut off. She glanced up and out the window, a bit surprised at the time. "That will be all for today. Be sure to give the Sister your regards when you see her, and remember." She looked at each child in turn, holding their eyes for a long second before continuing down the line, "In whatever you do in this life, no matter what your skill or trade may be, strive to perfect it to the point that you may claim true mastery. Do so, and a place will be given to you in the days to come when the rest of the world burns to ash in the fires of justice."

She clapped her hands together, "Dismissed."

The students filed out one by one, some shuffling their feet as they knew they now had to go work at whatever profession their parents held. Lana, however, remained back. When they were alone she approached where Reima was stepping down off the boxes that she had been standing on.

"Um, Tribune..."

"Yes child?" Reima asked while packing her things.

"I was just wondering... Will you be lecturing again soon?"

Pausing the Fae looked up, tilting her head in thought, "No Lana. Today was just a favor for the Sister who normally lectures at this time. I typically have other lessons to give." She was about to continue her packing when she glanced back at the girl, "Why do you ask?"

Lana shifted from foot to foot, seeming uncertain how to answer. She was nearly the age of maturity, closer to 15 than 14 now, and her manner of the dress had changed accordingly. She now wore the long cotton skirt and long sleeves of many women who visited the Cathedral. She came from a family of inn owners, where she currently worked as a waitress. After some time she seemed to find her voice, "The way you teach, I just like it. The Sisters tend to focus on the Prophecy's and other lessons, but you spoke more about what the words meant..."

Shrugging Reima looked away, finishing up her packing and tossing her bag on her shoulder, "That is to be expected. Brothers and Sisters of the Omen are still learning the deeper truths in the scriptures. As such they usually are not given permission to speak as I can. It is said that when you become a Praetor even greater secrets and understanding are revealed, though I would not know."

"Could I learn to understand the Scripts as you do Tribune Reima?"

Ah, there it is. Reima thought, facing Lana fully now. The girl was at least 2 heads taller than her, so the Fae had to tilt her chin up to look the girl in the eyes. What she saw there wasn't a true religious devotion, but instead something deeper. After some thought, Reima smiled and shrugged before turning away, "Perhaps. Though to go beyond just this you would need to become one of the Sisters yourself first."

Reima raised a hand, forestalling anything Lana might have said, "It is just an idle comment child. Think on the lesson today and my words, and if, in the future, you wish to pursue this path then you may seek me out. Until then, have a good afternoon child."

As she exited Reima spared a look back at the girl. She still stood where she had been left, brow furrowed as she bit a lip. Uncertainty on her face, though somehow the Fae thought she already knew that her next few seasons would become very full indeed.

Last edited by Reima on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1999
Taelian Edevane
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=286
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152

Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:07 am

Reima

Lores
Storytelling: Sharing sermons and verses
Persuasion: Compelling religious belief

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A

Points 5

Comments: I'm so glad I get to keep reviewing these. I loved this thread! The sermon was wonderful; very accurate to how I imagine Ulendreaist sermons being. The general energy and tone of the thread was also great -- I loved every bit of dialogue and every detail. Enjoy your rewards. :D

word count: 78

Return to “The Southern Marches”