With Me

The decentralized lands of the Entente, and the bulk of the Empire.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Taelian Edevane
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=286
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:20 pm

39th of Ash, Year 118

It had been an interesting last few days in the estate of Lord Valran Renfier de Neime, Halamire-Knight, vassal-soldier of Lady Lieril Lorraine of Ciseperant... titles, titles and more. Taelian had quickly gotten tired of the modicum of court politics that he had been invited to behold, failing to realize just how far removed Renfier was from it all. The true depths of Daravin's Candor were absurdly ornate and complex, and little justice was done by looking to them from the perspective of a Valran's peasant guest.

Still - of course - Taelian was not amused. He had been referred to as Renfier's paramour several times, and had been forced to dress so modestly as to not expose a single wrinkle of skin. He was starting to feel that while by law Renfier had no power over him, he was de facto becoming Taelian's... retainer. Or something of the like.

He didn't like it, obviously. The Elf had not been designed for such domestic displays; he did not have any feelings for Renfier save for vague connotations of friendship, and yet the two of them had been forced - constantly - into public spectacle.

Liam had started to soften up to Taelian, particularly after Renfier admitted his love for the younger Elf. The two had spent much of their time together after that, enamored with the romantic energy of what was like a fresh flame.

It was, well enough, time for Taelian to leave. He had served his purpose here -- he had done for himself what needed to be done, to equip him for the next part of his journey. He needed to endeavor towards Arlain, the de facto capital of Daravin's south, and the old homeland of the Ald'norai. Renfier could not take him any further; he was enamored with the subtleties of his own life, and was more interested in Taelian for what he hoped the Siltori might offer than for the core of who he was.

It had been an entertaining dalliance, the time spent here. He couldn't say he hadn't enjoyed certain parts of his time. Liam's sudden deescalating coldness towards him had been a significant boon, the two speaking of their upbringings, though he learned the other man had never been to Sil-Elaine. It explained a lot; the separate worlds which they walked through, one seeped in trauma and loss and one in glamour and decadence. Liam was like the Siltori likely were before; before everything had been stripped of them. He still carried the natural wealth, the diadem, of a Lord Elf.

But it was time to go. Taelian quickly gathered his belongings in the morning, leaving behind Renfier's generous offerings of clothes. He wanted nothing owed to the man, for as kind as he was the Elf still felt somewhat guarded to the aspirations of the Valran. As a result, though he was helped in washing his attire by the Lady Leliana, he would leave essentially exactly as he originally came.
word count: 537
Taelian Edevane

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:19 am

Stepping down the grand staircase, he was met in the foyer by the Halamire-Knight himself, Lord de Neime. He was covered in absolute opulence, from head to toe; golden-embroidered silks and a cologne that stunk of lilacs. A flower that permeated Daravin's interior, it seemed, and thus among the only ones he had ever seen or smelled.

"Renfier," the Ebon Knight called, and regarded him with a curt nod.

"Are you leaving, then?" the man asked. His lips were pressed tightly together, as if he were restraining words. Taelian could see the look of disappointment clear upon his complexion.

"Yes," the Elf replied. "Ciseperant is not my final destination. Far from it. I am to go to Amoren, then to take an aerial vessel to the Free Cities of the North. That is what Aldrin dictated to me."

"Aldrin?" Renfier spat. "Who even is he? You are free from him, now. You do not need to take 'dictation' from anyone, Taelian. You--"

The Halamire paused. Aether began to swell around his eyes, his face; Taelian's stance quickly changed as if he were ready for a fight. His hand gripped the hilt of the claymore at his back.

"Calm. It's Semblance, you dodgy shit. I noticed about you... that you don't appear the same as others. It's like there's a cocoon around your soul; one that occasionally splits open with a tear, but not always. Often, you frighten me with your detachment. And more often, you startle me with the sheer negativity with which you perceive the world. Do you think I haven't noticed?"

The Siltori bit his lower lip. "I don't care if you have. My affairs have no relation to you."

"That is a lie, Taelian," he said. "Like it or not, I have become involved in your life. There is no reason why you must be persistent in distancing yourself from me."

Taelian paused. His palms gripped the cool wooden railings of the stairwell, as his ivory eyes peered emptily down the steps. He still had no trust for the other man's motives; it did not really matter what he said. The Elf had intended to leave, and he would. At this point, there was really nothing that could serve as a deterrence.

"Renfier, you have been very kind to me," he admitted. "But I have a goal in mind for what will come of my departure from Sil-Elaine. I am an instrument in the revolution we face. If I abandon my post to dally with a Halamire and a Daravinic Lord, then I am failing my people and my purpose in this world. Unless you are going to immediately gather your fellow Knights and tear open an invasive rift into the Darklands, set on culling the Dranoch, your passions and indeed compassions hold limited use to me. Do you understand?" he questioned.

"Yes, I think I do," the other man replied, lowering his gaze. "So be it, Taelian. Leave for Arlain, then. And be kind to me by not returning."
word count: 523
Taelian Edevane

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:18 am

And so... he did. That very morning, he stood up tall with his belongings and walked through those grand double-wooden doors, stepping quietly through the streets of Ciseperant's capital to the curious looks of discerning strangers. He swore he could feel the agitation of Renfier from a mile away, and then two, and then three... though eventually he left that emotion slip his mind. Taelian had a goal; it was why he left his brothers behind to die in Sil-Elaine. That venture had to be worth it for him -- he would not allow himself to fall away into the allure of court politics, only to eventually lose himself and his ideals to gratuitous wealth.

There was more for him, out in the world. The man made his way to the station that connected Carine with Amoren, Ciseperant a middle-stop, using one of the last vouchers Aldrin had gathered for him to be allowed past the copper-colored booth. There were all sorts of people around him; mostly, they appeared to be Valran, many of them made obvious by physical Quirks that undoubtedly changed the appearance of their body. He supposed he wasn't too atypical in Daravin. There were... a surprising number of Siltori, though notably the far majority of them were half-Siltori. He noticed some of them glance at him from time-to-time; it was like they could tell from the way he looked and stood that he wasn't from here. He was from Sil-Elaine. Maybe like their parents.

Eventually, Taelian was seated yet again on a train heading west. This one wasn't secretly buried beneath a Clockwork war-hatch, and it wasn't a hundred feet underground with a route running through a sprawling tunnel... it was instead through legal channels and for that, he could breathe a sigh of relief.

He closed his eyes as the journey began. He hadn't slept well the night before; Taelian worried Renfier would cause more of a fuss than he did. It was never too smart to allow strangers to be too kind; they would always expect something in return.

But he supposed Renfier may have simply been truly kind, without necessary entitlements in exchange. He supposed the man wanted his hand in marriage, or something of the like. It was never completely clear to him.

Either way... it was time to go.
word count: 410
Paragon

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Taelian

XP: 5/5
Magic? No.

Lore: None requested. If you change your mind, please get in touch with me.

Comments: Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.
word count: 41

Return to “The Southern Marches”