Moment of Respite (Ford)

The decentralized lands of the Entente, and the bulk of the Empire.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Gloomcrest
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2017
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2022

Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:48 am

47th of Frost, 4622

Jared couldn’t help but feel at ease with Ford’s presence. It would only seem like they had been friends for some time, yet in reality, they had just met each other and how two kindred souls could connect in trying times such as now.

“I’m always happy for additional pair of hands, cooking can be murder on the joints, but at least you get a hot, piping meal at the end of all the hard work. No one is an expert from the beginning, and it takes lots of time and dedication to get to where you are now.

Being able to live up to now is an achievement all on its own; The trials and tribulations shape us into who we are and what is essential. But, of course, no one road is perfect, and everyone has their own story to tell, don’t you agree?

Also, I don't like that person let alone a nation could be stuck in their arse about ideals but then again, I don't know what is like to run a country and I rather not... Seems like it is too much to handle, just like being famous overnight... Must of been rough on Taelian, new of his status spreads quickly even if it is minor rumours at this point for commonfolk like myself...”

The thief takes a moment to make a serving of his own, taking the time to conjure a stool out of Umbralplasm through the use of Devising the ambient photons and shaping into a congeal sphere of darkness which would quiver and shift as it starts to make up a reasonably sized stool that had some stretch to it as if it was mimicking a comfortable chair.

Making himself comfortable, the Alistian chef takes a moment to make his serving of the hearty meal that he created with the assistance of Ford. Taking a moment to whiff of the steam that exudes out of the stew and pilota as his stomach rumbles at the sight of having something delicious. The amber-eyed thief couldn’t help but start digging into his meal, tearing it apart pieces off his small loaf of maslin bread, dipping it into the slightly viscous brown stew before bringing it to his mouth and consuming his hard work.

"That’s the stuff... I could make it more interesting if I wanted to... But sometimes the simplest things in life are the best and don’t overcomplicate the purpose of a meal... To live for another day.

Coming to a warm, comforting meal is what I strive for since it is one of the few comforts that a commoner such as myself could have. Don’t you have a favourite meal paired with a fond memory? It might be a bit personal, but you don’t need to answer if you don’t want to.”

The thief takes a moment to point his used spoon at Ford as he asks a simple question about any potential food that would invoke some powerful memory since food was, to Jared, a universal language that anyone could use and tell their story—playing on the senses and retelling the stories from ages past.

The thief couldn’t help but freeze for a moment as if a rat was caught red-handed attempting to steal some grain in front of a leering cat as the blonde Griscian male planted his hand onto of his slightly scruffy, mildly curly raven-black hair. But, of course, it would be a surprise as the thief’s hair was soft and silky to the touch, which isn’t too familiar for someone claiming to be a commoner.

“Ummm…. Thanks, I guess???”

The Gentevarese magus simply looked confused by the action but could at least understand that it was a form of endearment in its own little way. Still, the act alone reminds the thief of how he would do the same thing to other urchins when he could take them in for a night of rest, comfort and warm meals for indeed…

Every urchin longs for a place to call home, and Jared was no different, starting as an urchin of the streets to becoming a petty thief of the night but the longing to find a home, a purpose and comfort in the cruel waking reality that the Alistian thief would wake up to every time his vision returns to the world.

Once Ford withdraws his hand from the thief’s head, the Alistian man couldn’t help but tilt his head slightly in utter confusion but merely shrugs it off as he takes another bite of his meal, which tastes somewhat like better from his interaction with Ford—developing a soothing memory to draw upon when the Nightfallen magus needs to take heart possibly.

“Must be a pain to cook then if you two eat a large portion, but; sometimes the quantity of the meal isn’t that important but rather the quality. A diet or dinner that contains more bulk, such as grains and vegetables, can last longer in one’s stomach than simply having sweets and meat alone.

I’m just kind of happy that I can cook for someone, whether a stranger or friend; I find it easier to talk to people when I am cooking since I don’t need to be so guarded all the time. After all, when the heart is wounded, it bleeds and scars; no longer its former self but somewhat changed from experience alone.”

The thief couldn’t help but smile, albeit weakly as if he was allowing himself to be slightly more vulnerable towards Ford, a total stranger yet in some ways a kindred spirit in his personal opinion. Nevertheless, the thief takes a moment to stare directly into his meal, slowly being whittled away by his own bout of hunger before looking up at Ford and smiling.

“Well, I shouldn’t be keeping you hostage, for too long. I am sure your husband would wonder where you went, and you need to hand him his meal before it gets too cold. Just remember, if you want another helping or want to request a particular meal. I am happy to see what I can do since I will spend more time in the kitchen preparing for our rations when we travel to Bel.”

The thief continued his slightly pained and weakened smile as he wanted to continue chatting with someone willing to sit through the internal baggage that the Alistian rogue had piled on for many years. Jared couldn’t help but wonder if he had met Ford or someone similar earlier in his life, would things turn out differently? Whatever the case is, fate’s design did not intend it to be, and that was something that Jared had to accept.

Making up Taelian’s portion consisted of a rather large serving of the hearty rabbit stew and spiced meatballs the size of golf balls, along with a large loaf of maslin bread that was still warm to the touch. The thief prepares all of Ford's mate's meals on a tray for him to carry back to their chambers.

“Thanks for listening and helping; I appreciate it, and please if you have some spare time. I wouldn’t mind having another round of banter, soul-searching and an extra pair of hands to help cook with. Hell, even if you are dropping your husband's meal off; Always happy for you to come back and continue our chat for the day is young and the night has not peak their head yet!”

word count: 1305

Return to “The Southern Marches”