Enter, With a Knifed Grin [Volundr]

The cultural heart of South Daravin, where the Entente play their hands.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Vivian
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1882&p=8295#p8295
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2156&p=9611#p9611
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1891

Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:07 pm

Vivian went to perch on Degare’s desk, leaning against the heavy, opulent mahogany beast. He hopped up onto it, lounging back on his arms and regarding Volundr with a curious expression. He was sweet, the way he wanted to protect others. Perhaps not as thoughtful as he could be, but protection was admirable. Vivian mulled over the animals Volundr had mentioned.

“It would have to be done carefully. Think of the crocodile. Strength, voracious appetite for food and sex. A predator who exists to rip apart animals and eat them whole, and lord over a group of females. Bathing in the sun, fucking and killing. They’re armored, for sure, but I’d think twice about letting such a lusty creature in your skull. They become part of you, in more ways than one, and a Malformist can lose himself. I wouldn’t want to find you guarding a host of women within your territory.” Vivian laughed. “The honey badger is aggressive, quick to anger, and cares not for its own blood loss or injuries. A swift temper like that would serve well in battle but poorly in life.”

Vivian shrugged. “It’s why I like insects. I eat, I fuck, that is all they care for. So, that in mind…what else might you pick? Think, now, of a beast known for his protectiveness but perhaps slightly less…warlike.”

word count: 238
Volundr
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?t=1717
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2404

Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:28 pm

Really thinking while Vivian spoke, a soft chuckle escaped his lips as the Doppelganger spoke of crocodiles and their penchant to protecting multiple suitable mates, the chuckle fading as he listened about the honey badger. While the aggression was not a part of the Kohrún, the ignorance towards injury was a definite part of his personality, now thinking. However, at the mention of just wanting to eat and fuck, a slight smile came across his lips. Despite this, he was in deep thought for this question. It was the first time really that he had given much thought to his magic abilities, using Nightfall like it was breathing to him, or a tool when he had to put proper effort into it.

"Hmm... I can only really think of snakes and ostriches for some reason. I know both are incredibly defensive... rhinoceros beetles also would work, but they're very territorial and often fight other beetles... hm." Thinking out loud, Volundr closed the book he had and put it away in that pocket under his armor to read later, thinking and glancing over at Vivian from time to time as he lounged on the desk. "Malformity has a lot more complexity to it, doesn't it? I don't mind gaining these potential traits, as long as I am able to protect myself and the people I care about. Isn't there someone you absolutely want to protect yourself from, even as an ascended mage?" Unknowingly to Volundr, this question was as loaded as a crossbow aiming at a target 10 feet away.

word count: 264
Vivian

Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:27 pm

Vivian chuckled. "I suppose it's all well and good wanting to protect yourself and others, but I want you to be empathetic too. I want you to use Malformity for good, to understand the wretches and hated creatures of the world. To embrace what it means to be a human animal. I've embraced Azunath' teachings. He is an avatar of change above all things. Of entropy, madness, the growth after the forest fire as much as the fire itself." He stretched, and nodded to the bookshelves. "Here you can uncover the fundamentals of your magic. The history of the god that granted it. Sometimes the philosophy around it. Azunath's rituals were always grand orgies and feasts. There's a particularly fantastic tale about a man taking the form of a snake, swallowing another Malformist whole just for sexual gratification. Entwined in flesh, in nature, in destruction as well as creation. Both mages survived, surprisingly. One day I hope there will be enough Malformists that we can dance in the woods again, eat the flesh of animals as well as man, and fuck until dawn."

Vivian smirked. "I doubt Nightfall is as in tune with itself. Read. I'll be availing myself of Degare's plumbing. The man had a fantastic bathtub, and I want to see if it still works. Read some of the works on the Entente as well. There are some books on philosophy, but most of it seems to be petty sniping between houses." Vivian smirked, looking at Volundr coquettishly. "You could always join me you know. Save the hot water."

With that, the Malformist padded down the hallway, opening the door to the bathroom and twisting the tap. There was a great groaning, and the pipes shuddered, but after a few minutes hot water gushed forth into the porcelain tub. Vivian sighed, running his fingers through the stream. It had been too long.

word count: 327
Volundr

Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Looking through the bookshelves a bit more, he also took a book on Y'shendra, his own goddess that he had prayed to when the Bleeding had happened, and after looking through the Nightfall book he had obtained, got two more books, one on Tenebrax and the other on Venadak. And upon grabbing two more books on philosophy and the Entente class interaction with itself, he realized finally what Vivian had offered, a hot bath. He hadn't had one since he woke up from his last death, bathing in rivers and lakes as the cold water didn't bother him. Thinking for a moment, he soon made his way to where he could hear the pipes groaning and the water running. That, and the steam pouring from the gap in the door also showed where the Malformist was.

Knocking calmly, he soon made his way into the bathroom and set the books to the side in a nice pile from largest to smallest, bottom to top. Glancing over at Vivian for a moment, he removed his cloak and folded it nicely, knowing that he would have to clean it soon as the fur material was covered with dirt, grass, and various blood stains from skirmishes he had. "You know, a hot bath doesn't sound bad at all, especially in a place like this." He didn't say much else, slowly but methodically undoing clasps and buckles on his armor, the iron gorget coming off to allow the gambeson beneath to be removed. His gloves also came off to allow himself better dexterity with the remainder of his outfit.

"...Why are you suddenly more open towards my presence? It was literally yesterday that you attempted to slap me when you woke up, even though I technically wasn't in the bed when you did so. You didn't really trust me, so what changed in such a short time?" Once the gambeson layer came off, a simple cotton tunic and breeches, along with those rather nice-looking leather boots, were all he wore. And underneath, the tunic had a few stab and slash marks on it, sewn up with different colored thread that made them more apparent. Glancing at Vivian once again, he waited for a reply, taking his swords and propping them up in a corner to keep them close, in case they would somehow be needed.

word count: 399
Vivian

Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:20 am

Vivian thought quietly as he disrobed and slid into the bath. He laid his cheek on the porcelain, closing his eyes and letting the hot water embrace him. For the first time in months, he let out a long breath and relaxed every muscle in his body. There was no more running. Daravin was safe. His baby was safe. This house, haunted as it was, was safe. There was no servant come to scream at him for using the (limited) hot water. There was no Degare stalking the halls or insisting on twisted lessons. There were no specters, no clients, no leering guards or advantageous pickpockets.

It was so refreshing to just…exist. Every animal in the world needed safety, comfort, and warmth. Humans were no exception. Every cell hummed with peaceful happiness as Vivian sloughed off filth and, perhaps a little indulgently, drained the dirty water to lounge in fresh hot water a little longer. That would be it for the reservoir; if they wanted anything else they’d have to boil it on the hearth. Vivian stretched out. His platinum hair was clean, courtesy of Degare’s soaps, and his skin felt better than it had in months. He closed his eyes.

Peace wasn’t to last forever. He was contemplating a nap in the warm water when Volundr decided to take him up on his offer and began thudding armor pieces on the floor. Vivian rolled his eyes behind their lids. “Must you make such a racket?” He muttered. “I don’t trust you. I just feel safer here. I know every inch of this house, and if you decide to do something stupid I don’t have to explain anything other than you disturbed angry spirits. I’m safe, I don’t have to worry about you strangling Laurent, and I’ve got something you want.”

Vivian opened one icy blue eye. “So…I feel less of a need to be on guard. I’m also clean and in a good mood. Don’t spoil it.”

word count: 347
Volundr

Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:12 pm

For the first time since the two had met, Volundr let out a soft chuckle, the type that seemed to radiate warmth and general good will. Stripping off his boots, the soft leather folded over itself as he tossed them to the side, having rather good balance as he stood on one foot for each boot. Next to be removed was his thick cotton shirt, his frame shrinking slightly but nevertheless still incredibly fit and muscular. However, it was clear he had been through a lot, his body being covered in various scars. Some of those scars, had they been wounds, would have clearly been fatal, and yet here he stood. The most prominent scars however, were a multitude of what looked to be puncture wounds going in a "U" shape across his chest and left shoulder. Turning around briefly to put his shirt down neatly, this shape closed off into an elongated "O" that bisected his body.

"Do you really think I would hurt a child? I am a soldier. I kill other soldiers, generals, creatures that threaten my life. But I do not kill children or the defenseless." The smile from the chuckle faded immediately as he had begun speaking. The cold feeling of his words faded as soon as he finished however, and he stripped off his pants, now bare in front of Vivian. Surprisingly, the scars only really centralized to his chest and upper body, his lower half fairly free of scars save for a potential scar from an arrow in the leg or two. "Now then, do you mind scooting a bit so that I can get in as well? I don't personally care for the closeness, I've done worse. Besides, from the sound of the pipes, there isn't much hot water left, so saving some for your soaking would be ideal. And I'm sure you'd agree with that, yes?"

word count: 320
Vivian

Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:09 pm

“Soldiers hurt children all the time.” Vivian sighed, and pulled his legs up so Volundr could get in. “I birthed him in Radenor. He was seen as nothing but an abomination there…they would have ripped him from my arms less than a week after I birthed him if I hadn’t done something.” He wished all soldiers could be as charitable as to never consider hurting children. Hakon had been brainwashed and traumatized into doing things that would turn the stomachs of most men. Soldiers could be broken down, and conditioned, to do the worst things on the planet. Vivian had never had a high opinion of organized military. A mercenary he could understand; some people survived by their bodies the same way he did, and just used them to hurt others rather than giving a fantastic blowjob. Exchanging a few scars for coin was normal. Volunteering to get paid a steady salary to be skewered by some other bastard dying for his own country was an alien concept. Odd folk, soldiers.

Volundr seemed like a good sort, even if that moral compass was going to cause him nothing but trouble when it came to the Entente. He didn't want to tarnish it and he certainly didn't disapprove, but it would hurt Volundr in the long run. Perhaps, like himself, there was a way to stain it a bit without getting rid of it entirely. He turned over in the bath to regard the other man, perched at the rear of the tub with his arms slung over the sides, looking every bit like some aquatic, deposed prince. Very well, he could share. He had the lion's share of the bathwater anyway, and he'd already scrubbed himself clean. He didn't mind Volundr coming in and making it a little dirtier.

Vivian eyed the other man as he stripped. Muscular and lean, like he expected. The body of a soldier, complete with the scars of one. He raked his eyes up and down Volundr, smirking. It had been a while since he'd slept with anyone. He had focused on physical labor when he was in the village. Maybe here laid an opportunity.

word count: 375

Return to “Amoren”