The ancient capital of Sil-Elaine.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Taelian Edevane
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=286
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152

Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:06 pm

22nd of Ash, Year 118

Every breath hurt. Not just for him -- but also for them.

Nothing could ever be easy.

The Artificed Golem that had been assisting the Famished train-conductor at the helm roamed across the halls of each car, and after having removed of the corpses in the second-to-last compartment by throwing them against the walls of the cave, most of his visits had been largely to gather general information on the passengers' current wellbeing. Taelian theorized that he might have been Awoken, but one akin with the Famished he followed; quiet and with little interest in living an unnecessarily complex life. He displayed some of the characteristics of mortality, but much of the detached aloofness of false personhood.

"Attention to all passengers," the Awoken-Golem, or-so-he-thought, began to announce. "Due to a Dust Storm raging overhead, we are noting dangerously high levels of Sundered air. Dust particles have been descending through the soil and through the windows and imperfections of the train. Please be aware that if you are having difficulty breathing, these difficulties should subside. As former residents of Sil-Elaine, you should feel a natural resistance to Sunder-Sickness, instilled in your biology. For this reason we advise calm; please report symptoms including violent coughing, deathly illness and sudden mutation to your nearest operator. We are happy to help you survive your journey."

Strange. He spoke methodically, formally. Without any of the gilded Siltori flair. He was foolish to think that his words would not cause panic, however; nearly all of those in his cabin were now frantically searching the closets for medical supplies, hoping that their bandages and other baubles would somehow remedy their overt Sunder-Sickness. No matter their genetic advantages against the effects of the Sundering, the Siltori were still mortal. They could not easily survive being submerged by one of Daravin's Dread-Mist Dust Storms.

"Why are you not worried, Ebon Knight?" a young man asked him; one who also appeared to be relatively calm. He was a tall Siltori like him, likely an inch or two shorter than Taelian. His build was athletic and he wore casual, linen clothes, with his short but curly hair messily dancing across his face and the rest of his head.

"Everyone's been calling me 'Ebon Knight' from the moment I got on," Taelian muttered, and rolled his eyes. "Elindra was more of one than me. And she died to that Dranoch in the car ahead. I was weak to not help her before." Perhaps, he thought, if he had gone there without hesitation...

...but Taelian wasn't one to sulk and mope in moral quandaries. What happened had already happened. And technically, even though he was leaving, he was still an Ebon Knight. Part of why he had gone away was to serve Aldrin's will from afar, seeking to garner the attentions of the powerful Siltori of the world who might feel empathy for their people's plight. Aldrin had always been idealistic.
Last edited by Taelian Edevane on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 532
Taelian Edevane

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:12 pm

He hadn't answered the man's question. Why was he not worried? Taelian took a breath. He felt, perhaps all too strongly, that there was no purpose for ever dreading the loss of one's life. It was the Famished in him that spoke -- whispered to him in its wholesome, monotone voice, speaking down to the concepts of fulfillment, purpose, pleasure, and life at all. To be a Famished was to be an orator of nothingness; a mouthpiece for the void.

"The world is hateful no matter where you go," he answered. "Have you heard of the vices of this place? We're almost in Carine -- but remember, that won't be the end of our journey. There are the violent, Sunder-corrupted raiders of the Imperial Badlands, and the mad ministrations of the Daravinic Entente. I've heard they sacrifice children to blood rituals, and initiate their own only months from the womb. I've heard..." he paused, shaking his head, "...that the peasants work like slaves. That the city-folk can't expose so much as an ankle without being chastised as a defiler and a whore. I don't know how it's taken you so long to notice, Ser, but our world is filled with hateful gluttons. Our home isn't so much worse than all the rest -- at least it's our home."

"Then why," the other man spoke up to ask, "...are you leaving it?"
"Aldrin sent me," Taelian replied.
"Aldrin? He doesn't care about anyone. He once dined with the Dranoch Huntsmen, their favorite pet. They offered to make him one of them, to help him ascend to their ranks -- and he would have accepted, had one of their pawns not slaughtered his young. He is an opportunist, and an upstart, and an oppressive force just as they are. Why do you think he sent you to Daravin?"
"Not Daravin," he clarified. "Zaichaer. Kalzasi. It's to forge alliances -- with the Lady of Kalzasi, who is like us. With the Dratori of the West, who left us behind. Perhaps, eventually, I will be sent to Auris to convene with the Hytori, who still hold some of the eminence of old. I think Aldrin's goals are reasonable, and just."

And he didn't care if Aldrin did not value him, or if Aldrin was an upstart or an opportunist. The man was the leader of their revolution -- the only hope for their liberation. Even if he provoked other nations to war with Sil-Elaine, and even if they became occupied as they once were by Kaitos and his Empire, it would be better than being born and raised to be literal cattle like they were now. Aldrin was the only option they had.
Last edited by Taelian Edevane on Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 470
Taelian Edevane

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Their train was nearing its end. They had almost arrived in Carine, and the passengers in general were put at ease. The Dust Storm no longer hovered over them, the earthquakes from before had subsided, and so they were only a brief straight-shot away from the end. Taelian himself held back the beginning of a deep-rooted anxiety, filling his mind with dread. Even though he knew he should've been glad to be leaving, it was sorrowful to him that everyone on this train -- all of these migrants fleeing total oppression -- would be scattered to the winds, likely exploited and made to suffer in their new homes as well. He had heard that many of those who escaped to Daravin were overworked... made into slaves. Even those who found their way north to Lorien were most often called 'Nameless' and were forbidden from ever finding a place in society.

The Dranoch spread these stories for the purpose of creating fear, to prevent their livestock from fleeing their shed. For the most part, it worked. Why leave behind everything you know only to suffer somewhere else?

They arrived outside of Carine. When the train met the end of its rail length, only able now to be turned around via one of the Famished Transpositioners. He wondered how the Daravinic inhabitants nearby had never discovered them. He supposed it was a rather remote, Clockwork hatch in the middle of the desert, but... it was odd. Perhaps they did know, and had made a deal with the Adh Nuaihm. Whatever the case, he supposed he was glad that at least the majority of them made their journey.

Taelian said goodbye to the young man who had spent the last two hours of the ride with him. He did not feel particularly fond of him, but he held nothing against him either. His views were cynical, a lot like Taelian's, who often wondered and felt the same things. At least -- hopefully -- he would have a chance for a different life, now. Something Taelian could only hope to call better.

Amoren, he knew, was not fond of keeping mass quantities of Elven slaves. Likely because their lady, Brilan Ald, was one of them. Perhaps she was the anonymous benefactor that kept this hatch in the Badlands safe. He had no way of knowing.

Taelian pressed his lips together and watched the sun set upon the desert. It was warm; not too hot, nor too cold, but a perfect touch of the sun's grace. Taelian exhaled a soft breath, a small smile embracing the corner of his lips. He had finally arrived. Though great ardors lied ahead of him, he knew, the Siltori was finally free. Sil-Elaine lied long past him now, in the annals of history, until he could come back and change it for good.
word count: 484
Nyx

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Taelian

Magic?: N/A

Lores:

Survival: Sunder-Illnesses
Survival: Dread Mists
Survival: Dread Mist Dust Storms
Politics: Dogma
Politics: Aldrin's Hypocrisy
Sociology: The Lesser Evil

Loot: N/A

Injury and Overstepping: N/A

Comments: The only good thing about there being so few reviewers is that I've gotten the most wonderful chance to read this series. Honestly, you really do have to read all of Taelian's solos to truly understand him as a character. He's damp and dynamic and he has so much potential. His cold and cynical but there's sparks of something under there every time he laments his own failing and inadequacies. I so badly want to watch him grow and I'm glad I'll be around to actually watch it happen. Truly, thank you for these solos and thank you for this character.
word count: 145

Return to “Veranor”