Secrets [Ford]

The capital of the Grisic Empire, and seat of the Imperator.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Oliver
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2078
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2099

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:54 pm

34th Glade 4607

The previous training for the gymnastics troupe appeared to be extremely hard on Oliver's endurance as a competitor in sports; the worst part was that he appeared to have sprained a ligament whilst performing a unstable landing as the impact of the landing appeared to be bad. The stubborn man needed to push through the day regardless of the pain he was feeling as he walked in, trying to make his limping unnoticable as he walked into the dorm room "Hey, everything alright?" He asked as he sat down, hissing as he banged his foot on the wooden section. The hiss of pain was even more noticeable now that Oliver had exasperated the injury "Oh good Bel's above! Stupid fucking bed!" He yelped out in hysterical pain, not wanting to waste any time with any doctors looking at it. It appeared he also had studying to do, even after the training.

What turned into an incognito injury turns out to be a large dramatic reveal. He knew Ford was going to be bugging him about such an injury "Don't worry about me, I'm fine, it was just a terrible landing at gymnastics... If only someone set up the gymnastics equipment more competently then this wouldn't happen" Oliver expressed his pain as he made his way over, limping to the window to open it, knowing that the sun's heat was just too much to bear; a spring breeze came through the window, making it more serene and tranquil. The smell of honeysuckle, tea tree and mint echoed in the air as it was that time of year again.

The spring appeared to be a great time to go outside and study on some occasions, perhaps if Ford felt like it, he would've joined along "Anyway, what have you been doing? Cooped up in this room alone? Why don't you get some fresh air, it seems like you've been in here for days studying... Someone giving you a hard time?" He tapped Ford on the shoulder again.

word count: 354
Ford Edevane
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=2268
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2269

Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Ford had been cooped up, that much was true, but he enjoyed his studies. He had been taking notes when he heard the commotion coming from his roommate. Naturally, he glanced up, the blonde hair a bit messy since he had nowhere to go and nobody to impress, and the freshly shaved face was already seeing the shadow of stubble sprouting across his jawline. His dormmate had been injured at practice, and he was attempting to do his best to hide the pain. Ford's brows lifted, and his eyes narrowed slightly as he looked at the ankle and foot in question. "What happened?" He asked, gesturing to the ankle with his writing utensil, disregarding Oliver's request not to worry about him. Smirking though, as Oliver complained about the people setting up the equipment, he was finishing writing his ideas regarding the lecture in Sociology he had endured. "Nothing is wrong." Taking a deep breath, he eased back and looked over to Oliver, who was nursing his wound. "Would you sit down and let me take a look? You hobbling around like that is going to get us complained about."

Standing from his studies, closing his book, Ford pointed a finger to his bed, or Oliver could sit at his, whichever was easiest. Once he was confident that Oliver would sit down, he would take a seat beside him, raise a hand with his finger pointed down, and twirl it. "Turn and give me your foot, you big baby." Ford had just started taking some classes in essential medicine, more like lectures on what to do in some instances, especially when out in the field doing research. Was he a doctor by any means? He was not even close to it; he had all but a couple of lectures under his belt. But it would help nonetheless to have someone look at it. Once Oliver offered up the wounded leg, Ford gently eased it into his lap and removed whatever bandaging Oliver had done to it. A tilt of his head and cool but soft fingers stroked over the swollen area that was injured. Looking over the limb for a long moment, his fingers smoothed over, and he nodded. "Probably a sprain. Here..." Taking up the bandage, Ford lifted Oliver's foot, making sure the foot was bare and pulled himself closer so Oliver could rest against his chest. With the foot firmly planted against his chest, he began winding the bandage around the wounded portion, tightening it more and more until he was sure there was enough support. Tying it off and securing it, he laid the foot back on the bed and glanced up at Oliver. "You should probably speak with your instructor. You really shouldn't practice with the injury... Besides, playing it safe now would make it easier for you to compete later."

Ford still hadn't answered Oliver's question. But there was a distraction, and Ford had taken advantage of it.

word count: 505
Oliver

Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:18 pm

Oliver was taken back by the man's hospitality; he seemingly wanted to help him along against his struggles, not that he didn't mind but he prefered to ride through the pain over some big competition "Ugh, my coach is gonna be disappointed, all the team are gonna be disappointed, what if I fuck up their chance of going through to the final University games hmm? We're competing against Universities across Grisic, I have to be strong for them." He said stubbornly as he witnessed Ford, seemingly take a look at his sprain, hissing with pain as he touched the tender side "Ow.. Ow Ow... Careful... You should thank yourself lucky it's not broken..." Oliver sighed with relief, noticing that Ford was using that as an excuse to not answer the question as he seemingly moved to the side of the bed.

Oliver's even more stubborn nature kicked into gear, knowing that he couldn't let his friend suffer in silence, he knew he had been cooped up for too long, knowing how stressful university was and the line in his lectures "Ford, you're such a kind soul, but you've been in this environment for too long now, should you go outside to get some fresh air? Come on, it's a nice day out and frankly, even though I have sprained my ankle to the point where my foot is the size of a giant pumpkin, I'd still make the effort." He asked as he sighed, getting concerned for the man who had been living as a hermit in his room "I still stand by my question though, if something is bothering you, you can tell me." He said with a friendly smile "It'll be between us and if someone is giving you a hard time, I know how to make someone's life a living hell."

word count: 323
Ford Edevane

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:48 pm

Ford was slightly annoyed with what Oliver was saying. "Who cares if they are disappointed? You could snap your foot off, and what would it be worth? A trophy? You could potentially do permanent damage if you aren't careful enough with a sprain." Once he was confident that the bandage was secured on the foot, he let it go and seemed to listen to his dormmate assess what he should or shouldn't be doing. "I dunno. I like what I'm studying. What's the point of doing it outside?" He asked it rather pointedly as he stood up from the bed and meandered over to the window Oliver had opened moments ago. Looking down, he saw the occasional student, some going by, others taking time to rest or study out in the open. "There's nothing particularly wrong, Oliver. Nobody seems to be interested in being my friend." It was a lie; Ford tended to be more outspoken than tradition usually allowed in the Griscian Commonwealth and didn't see things in black or white like most others did. "It's easy for you. You've gotten to enjoy a girl's company and satisfied some urges. Meanwhile, I have not."

It made it sound like Ford was jealous of Oliver, and perhaps to an extent, he was. But what it boiled down to was something else. "I dunno, it's just not that easy for me. I sometimes get discouraged from talking to other people because they tune me out when I start. Sometimes, you do that, too, even though I don't think you mean to. It just sucks feeling something different than everyone else; it's not easy to explain." Ford hadn't quite put the finger on it publicly, even though he was ninety-nine point nine percent sure that get gad already identified it. "That's all; it's why I stay in and study. The books make sense and are interesting, so I take the time to read and take notes. It might sound boring, but I haven't had a book lie to me lately." No matter, he looked back to Oliver and glanced to the foot, giving them time to think. "What are you gonna do about that?" He asked, motioning with his chin to the injured foot.

word count: 396
Oliver

Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:19 pm

Oliver noticed the grouchyness in his tone, noticing that the other male seemed somewhat lonely, since he had been going out with girls like most Grisic men do, it had left the man in a spot of discomfort, yet almost as if he wanted to be alone. He frowned when Ford announced that noone seemed to be interested in him as a friend. He sighed, looking back at him; he felt soemwhat hurt that his friend didn't share his feelings with him, as if there was something more to it. Why did Ford feel like that. Oliver stared at him for a moment, speechless and quiet "Is this just about being lonely? Because you're doing yourself no favors if your just gonna keep yourself in this space. You're a good-looking, handsome chap who appears to be wasting away, look at you, before you know it your gonna turn into the hairy hermit who hid from the world." He sighed for a moment as Ford appeared to be in a typhoon of jealous emotions.

He knew the man wasn't doing himself any favors as he limped over to Oliver's bed and frowned; he seemed hurt by Ford's jealousy, so much that he turned away as if to hide the tear in his eyes "Ford... I'm sorry if I made you feel that way. You know, you can tell me anything and I'll listen..." He gulped for a moment as he would often take a look at the bodies of his fellow male gymnasts in the locker room. He wondered if it was the same experience that he had been having; the fact that there was noone to experiment with, noone like you in that room. Everyone appeared to be conformant to a societal model drilled into their heads by their parents. It was a nightmare, but was it the thing that made Ford different "And if that's not the case I'll... Infact, lets do it differently..." He said with a smile as he wanted to project how open minded he was, how trustworthy he could be "I'll tell you a secret and you tell me yours..." He said with a smile "It's an exercise I read in psychology, although it's a form of social experiment if you will..." Oliver chuckled, trying to engage with Ford's interests.

"So, me first... I think part of me thinks I'm more interested in men than women." Oliver openly admitted to Ford, blushing for a moment as if he was in some kind of shame "Yeah, I'll admit it, call me sly but I think that's the current path. I might have a girlfriend and all, but you see... The truth is my family pressures me into being a perfect model of Griscian etiquette, it's almost smothering... Unfortunately, being in love with a man is considered almost taboo, whilst it is accepted it's heavily looked down upon by families who wish to adjust their social hierarchy." He frowned.

"What about you?"

word count: 522
Ford Edevane

Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:26 am

"Wait, what? No." Blonde brows furrowed as he listened to Oliver, questioning why he was feeling lonely, then telling him what was going to happen to him if he continued with that course of action. Taking a deep breath, he let it out and slid his gaze back to the opened window. The next words had Ford turning around to regard his dormmate with eyes that had grown into a partial leer as Oliver was apologizing for making him feel any certain way. "No, that's not... I was just using that as an example." But that didn't matter because they were onto an exercise Oliver had read about in Psychology. The mention of secrets had Ford perking up and about to say something, but Oliver went first and started talking. The more Oliver spoke about the secret, the more slack grew on Ford's face. The attentiveness in his eyes had begun to droop, his chin hung down, and his lips parted as he was shocked that Oliver was so quick to share a secret like that. His mouth opened to say something, but nothing quite came out. As his mouth closed, his head craned back slightly, and brows furrowed together in an attempt to connect being a hermit to Oliver admitting to having desires for men. Ford was doing his best to piece everything together, and finally, he would give it his best shot.

"First of all, I would never judge you. We have it hard enough with our parents and loved ones. Second of all... Good for you for understanding your broadening, or at least, horizons that might be opening to you." His gaze lingered on the window before settling his gaze back on Oliver as he had come closer and now wanted a secret from Ford. "I try not to keep secrets; secrets tear things apart... I guess the only thing I'm not completely open about is that I have no desire for women or girls. I know my family will want me to marry some woman for something, but it's not something I'm looking forward to. I have no interest in dating girls just to fill that void, but I also know I can't necessarily come into a relationship with a guy without some repercussions." Was being gay a secret? Probably in their culture, but as long as Ford wasn't talking about it, he didn't see what the issue was going to be.

word count: 422
Oliver

Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:27 pm

Oliver watched his facial expression lit up, like there was an essence of shock in his demeanour. His mouth wide agape, his eyes as wide as an owl, followed by the sudden flow that he was taken back. Oliver looked worried for a moment, a hint of anxiety immediately tackled his fight or flight response as he stared over at him "Please don't tell anyone..." He asked almost giving like a puppy-like gaze as if he didn't want anyone to know about his secret. Emotions like this appeared to be completely repressed, knowing that his parents would probably go ballistic if he was found doing such feats.

Oliver's worry continues as Ford reveals his secret, knowing that he had kept said something so private, he wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. He didn't know what to feel as the butterflies circled around his stomach. He listened intentively, still with that gaze of worry, until all of a sudden Ford admitted his own struggles. He was homosexual himself, with no desire aimed towards women other than being mere breeding chattel for societies' growth. Oliver was just as surprised as his gaze remained on him, he frowned at the prospect that Ford couldn't always be himself in this society. It almost hurt him as he may have also been in the same boat. Oliver was confused with his own sexuality, but Ford appeared to have already accepted his fate. Was Oliver even true to himself? Or was he doing it because society had placed a leash of viability around him?

"Ford..." Oliver whispered softly, placing a hand on his shoulder and giving him a shoulder rub "You can be yourself around me, I won't care, nor judge. That's my motto for everyone I meet" He smiled as he limped forth to the window, looking at the cherry blossom tree outside. "Do you fancy going outside for a bit of fresh air" He asked curiously before looking at him "Or, do you prefer to sit here and study for a while longer? I won't judge what you do but... I seriously think you're putting on an bit of back fat" He teased, hoping it didn't sound mean.

word count: 387
Ford Edevane

Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:20 pm

For a moment, Ford tried to follow the contact changes of emotions playing across Oliver's face. The shock, horror, and worry that Ford would tell someone had Form slightly confused. "I would never tell anyone your secrets. It is neither my business nor anyone else's who you choose to invest your personal time with." The blonde lifted his gaze to study Oliver's face as he listened to what was being said. The hand came to his shoulder, which was something Ford had not been expecting. Tilting his gaze towards the hand as it rubbed his shoulder, he followed the hand back up to the shoulder and the rest of the body it was attached to. Did he want to go outside? No, but if it would get Oliver to stop trying to get him to go, he would probably do it. Standing, he snorted at the comment about his back fat. "I have about as much back fat that you have blonde hair..." Smirking, Ford pulled on some boots and nodded at the door. "Be careful staring at my back. Don't want people thinking you're fantasizing about what my back looks like." Chuckling, he held the door open and motioned for Oliver to come with him. "If I am going, so are you. We can go find a tree and find you some more girlfriends or something." Smiling cheesily, he would hold the door, waiting for Oliver to come with him.

Ford took his time, making sure Oliver made it out in one piece, and before they knew it, they were both at a tree outside. "Come, sit down." Helping Oliver sit on the ground, Ford took up the spot beside him against the tree, resting his back against it. "So what are we supposed to do now that we are both outside?" He asked as his blue-eyed gaze went in one direction, then the other, looking to take in what was happening around them. He did see other students studying; some were just lying around or hanging around one another and talking. Others by themselves, just staring at the sky. The whole of the students that were visible had Ford looking at each and every one of them as they either passed by or minded their own business, doing whatever it was they were doing.

word count: 399
Oliver

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Oliver winced at the comment about back fat as it appeared to have backfired; that was not the wisest of words that the Griscian male had chosen. He glared playfully at Ford, knowing that it was a mere jest, but still it was a public space that they were about to enter "Yeah, thanks for reminding me." Oliver said in a grumpy tone, rolling his eyes and sighing as the extroverted Ford had come out his shell once again, looking to explore the possibilities of either embarrassing Oliver, or someone else. Perhaps he wished that he should've kept quiet about going outside for atleast another hour. There was a certain charm to Ford's behaviour that Oliver did feel comfortable with, that appeared to be his free spirit and his happy-go-lucky attitude in life. As he approached the door, Oliver rolled his eyes about Ford helping him find more girlfriends. In truth, he had one and he wasn't going to give her up that easily for someone. He seemed happy, but there was this urge fighting to come out "Ford, not in public..." He said knowing the door was open when he made a seemingly uncomfortable comment about girlfriends, after all he didn't want to be branded as someone who was promiscious.

Oliver would limp on his sprained ankle as he took the liberty of risking going outside to see if Ford would be more interactive with other people; he winced as he sat down on the ground with Ford, watching him for a moment "I was concerned for your lack of sunlight" He joked as he knew how long Ford had been cooped up "Wouldn't want you to turn pale and get sick now, would we?" He teased. Students appeared to be studying outside, but he was wondering if Ford was actually playing that game again "I'm joking obviously, but I have been concerned though that's why I wanted to bring you outside for a bit so you can at least have some ounce of sunlight radiating your skin." Oliver sighed, shaking his head in some kind of turmoil "I'm just worried you haven't been yourself lately, unless I'm worrying too much."

word count: 381
Ford Edevane

Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:31 pm

As they were heading out of the door, he heard the comment about watching the jokes. It was a stark reminder of the public image that had to be upheld. Those bright blues cast their gaze downward for the briefest moments as he thought about Oliver's words. It lasted no more than a second or two, and he was sitting at the tree with Oliver and listening to him. "Not acting myself?" Blonde brows rose in question as he was watching some random student walk by as he was trying to think on his dormmate's words. "I would not say I have not been myself. I know I tend to get a bit bookwormish when reading or studying." That part he knew full well he had done before coming to University. "But I assure you, Oliver. There is nothing to worry about. I am merely putting my best foot forward and focusing on my classes." There was a slight pause as he thought about the situation, and he did cast a glance over to Oliver. "Don't be concerned. I will be alright. You should be concerned with making sure your ankle heals, or you won't be competing for much longer." Ford did not have much formal education in medicine, but he did know that an injury is made worse by extra strain and not taking care of it.

"What about you? What have you been doing aside from gymnastics and studying?" He realized that Oliver had been asking questions about him, and not offering much else other than that secret he had divulged to the blonde. Leaning away from the tree, Ford had chosen instead, to lay his back down along the ground and turned his head to look up at Oliver. The ground felt nice, there was something refreshing about sitting on the ground, in the grass. Perhaps Oliver did have a point of getting out of the room and seeing what was around and going on in the outside world.

Besides, Ford couldn't really poke any fun at Oliver in that moment, so he had to ask and rely on things Oliver had been doing.

word count: 369

Return to “Starkwayte”