A Reunion and a New Business

The Western Crown of Radenor.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Andros
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=2332

Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:22 am

Who could have thought the parents would be like the child? Andros nearly laughed. Were the Oxenfrey’s selfish and haughty like their exiled son? How shocking.

“Ajax is Fell’s heir, my dear. Vex you though he might, he’s entitled to whatever part of their estate that would have gone to Fell. I’m sure that’s why they won’t give you the time of day. Nobles protect their fortunes.”

Dorothea seemed temporarily speechless. Andros continued.

“Guild Mages can’t marry but they do have children and those children are entitled to inherit from their father’s family. Fell’s being an iconoclast doesn’t change that. His guilt doesn’t transfer to you or the kids. Don’t look so surprised, Doro. I spend my time moving from tower to tower. I know the mages well, and their ways.

He tapped his fingers on the table as he considered.

“How about this? We can begin with a bank loan and one ship. Let it make a few voyages. We’ll start a shop, get the business moving, set ourselves up as comfortably as we can - a decent home, better clothing, and we’ll find a way for you to study. . Then when we have established ourselves in Oxentide, we’ll make a proper approach. We’ll look less like freeloaders and more like long lost family.”

He took a sip of his ale and continued.

“Pursuing Ajax’s inheritance legally is probably a nonstarter, but we may get some help out of them. Perhaps the money to expand from one ship to many. Some of my guild connections might be able to facilitate a meeting.”

With that he called over to the tavern keeper and ordered whisky with ice for the both of them. This was a very special occasion after all.

“I didn’t see this coming when I woke up this morning, that’s for sure. We’ve got a lot to figure out but I like this plan.”

He put a hand on Dorothea’s arm, feeling a little giddy.

“I can’t tell you how happy I am that you’re here, Doro. And to go into business together as partners. There’s no one, not any of my children or anybody else, I’d rather work alongside.”

Andros hoped that would carry a deeper meaning. He didn’t expect Dorothea to step back into her role as obedient daughter, to fit the mold he tried to force her into as a girl. He planned to treat her as an equal, or at least a respected junior partner. Perhaps in return she could let bygones be bygones.

word count: 453

Return to “The Kyngdom of Vestria”