The Bad Cop and the Good Thief

The Northern Crown of Radenor.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Hakon
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2309
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2314

Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 pm

He didn't respond to Andros' assertions that he had attacked Ajax without cause out of deference to their friendship. As a Magus, he was perfectly within his rights to apprehend a criminal, and it was only respect for Andros that kept him from pushing that issue now. The fact is, though, that he did respect Andros, and he didn't want the man to be mad at him. That outweighed the fact that he was acting as though he were in charge. Hakon assumed this was habitual from when he had been the Teosian equivalent to the Alderman of his village.

The request was no great hardship, though. Hakon remembered each assignment he'd been sent out on. He remembered a lot of things, actually, with a keenness that people seemed to appreciate when it didn't unnerve them. He just had to take hold of the string in his mind and pull himself back to those days and it was all laid out for him, just as it had been the first time.

"My Warden requested that I search for a missing person. A nobleman in Jorikford with whom Ajax was staying noticed that the musician -- he was a musician, then, he said -- left his lute behind and sent a fast horse to give it to him, only to find a site on the road where there had been some commotion. A large scrap of Ajax's cloak was found at the scene, so the Lord feared that he had been kidnapped, perhaps for a ransom, and he leaned on Vesterhal to investigate. I was told to verify if the kidnapping had occurred, and if it had, to quell the captors. Returning with the target alive was appreciated but not necessary. I was ordered to return with a sunderscrap, however -- that was mandatory." He narrated all of this dispassionately. Just facts.

"There had been other disappearances in the area, but someone else had investigated and found nothing. I did not expect to fare better. I thought if I found anything, it would be bandits. That turned out to be not entirely wrong, but a rather incomplete version of the truth."

"There were three people who had Ajax captured: the ringleader was a small woman with bat wings. She was a necromancer and an Engraver, like me, and she had used necromancy to surgically modify herself and the other two men in the group. One of them was huge, bigger than me, and much stronger. Fortunately, also very slow and one of the stupidest men I've ever faced off against. The other was more your boy's size, but with an armored hide stitched into him, like he was wearing boiled leather all over, and teeth sharp enough to rend my flesh."

"From the start, I knew I had to get Ajax away from them. The woman was an Engraver. If I didn't, she'd drain him dry and use his life force against me, either to bring dead things to life or to heal her allies. So I prioritized getting him behind me, because to do otherwise would be to let him die. I then protected him from his would-be captors, and killed all three of them."

"The fight was..." Hakon trailed off. He didn't want to sound like he was bragging. "It was a difficult fight. I was outnumbered and at a disadvantage because I was protecting someone with no combat skills to speak of. The woman brought a dead bear back to life, also, which made the odds four on one. Nevertheless, I killed all four of them, albeit not before taking numerous wounds. The little one got on my back and ate through my armor, and started eating me. The bear scratched me all over my arms and legs. The big wound, though, came from the big guy. I underestimated how fast he could move toward the end of the battle, and he grabbed an iron poker from the fire and impaled my leg with it. He was so strong it went clean through the floor of the cabin. It broke my leg and pinned me. I was lucky to finish him off before he had a chance to punch my head from my shoulders."

"After the fight, Ajax... he helped me. He pulled the poker out, which allowed me to heal myself. Later, I injured myself while I was cleaning up the cabin, and my leg couldn't bear weight. I had nothing left in my torch by then, and he stayed with me. It was very kind of him. I thought I'd met someone who...." Hakon didn't finish the sentence.

He flushed, and moved on. It didn't matter. He'd thought wrong.

"He came back to the tower with me. He said a lot of things about me, while we were together. I believed him. Shortly thereafter, I woke up and he was gone, along with all my money. The sunderscrap, I made from Alecto. He must have stolen it while I was injured, because I had thought I lost it in the cabin. So presumably, it was all a con from the start. He played me for a fool and left me when I had nothing left to offer."
word count: 892
Andros
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=2332

Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:24 pm

The description of the battle was excellent, though it brought Ajax right back to the worst moments of his life and literally made him shiver. That was the last straw for him. Hakon had robbed him of his dignity. He’d hurt him and made him cry - again. Ajax was was standing with his arms crossed like a child as he listened to Hakon’s recitation. No more. It was time to reassert himself.

When Hakon finished and Pappa looked to him for a response, Ajax stood ramrod straight and put his hands behind his back. It was the pose he took when was given a watch at the prow of the ship, scanning the sea for pirates or storms and feeling the sea spray on his face. That was a positive experience, one that made him feel confident and manly. He tried to get back into that mentality as he prepared to make his case.

“Hakon saved my life, Pappa. I owe him a debt of gratitude, and so does our whole family. He was fearless and suffered to rescue me.” He had decided on complete honesty. Where Hakon had told half-truths, he would leave nothing out, even if it showed his attacker in a good light. It was the adult thing to do, and he had nothing to hide.

He continued. “When Hakon saved me, Alecto had been torturing me for about a day. She sliced my belly open with a hot knife, I’d pass out from the pain, then she healed me up with her magic and did it again. More time than I can count. You’ve seen the scars. I didn’t want to burden you and mama with the truth but that’s what had happened to me.”

That was hard to get out. It was the worst thing that had ever happened to him, after all. But he took a deep breath and continued. “When I saw the sunderscrap - her soul - I felt a connection to it. She’d hurt me, planned to kill and eat me, and when I held that scrap I could possess her. The scrap magic and now she protects me. I tried to offer it to the gods of the water on my first trip back to Teos but it floated back to me. I don’t see why it should go to Hakon and not me. I suffered for it too. Though I didn’t mean to cause him trouble with his warden. That I’m sorry for.”

He looked Hakon in the face as he made that apology, conquering his fear of the man to do so. Then he looked back at his grandfather, awkward as it was, to offer Hakon something more. “He didn’t take advantage of me, Pappa. He was a hero and I needed comfort, so I went after him. It’s a happy memory. But things went sour afterwards.”

Hakon had left out the key truth and now Pappa would hear it. “I went off to a party in the tower while he was working.. He found me chatting with another man and got jealous - he was warning me about Hakon, incidentally, and I spoke up for him. Hakon dragged me out by my wrist, then picked me up by my shirt and pinned me against the wall. I was afraid for my life. When he took me back to his room I seduced him so he would sleep deeply, then took what I needed to pay for a fast ship and made my escape.”

A little of the calm demeanor he was working so hard to maintain slipped. He turned towards Hakon and accused him angrily.

“You were a bully, Hakon. A frightening, violent man. You scared me so I did what I had to and now you think I should be killed for it. I was just a kid, half your size. If you’d treated me right - well who knows where we’d be. But you’re still a bully, beating men who are smaller and weaker than you. Why can’t you leave me and my family alone?”

word count: 701
Hakon

Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:37 am

Things like parties, unlike combat or facts, did not stay too well in Hakon's mind. When Ajax accused him of hurting him, he cast his mind back. He had been working that afternoon. He vaguely remembered that: kitchen duty, he thought. He'd peeled potatoes and chopped wood. It had been hotter than expected on that day, and he'd freshened up at the lavatorium afterward.

Right, that was it. The room had been empty. Hakon wandered the halls and then found him in Lothar's room.

"You picked a seemingly friendly Warden as your party host, didn't you? Lothar. Everyone loves him, because he seems so nice, so unlike me, so civilized where I am brutish. He thinks that his magic and his blood makes him superior to the 'milkmaids and shepherds with shit on their shoes' -- that's a direct quote, by the way -- and he gets enjoyment from making them love him, making them break rules for him, and then reporting them and getting them fired or banished from the tower. It's a game he plays to pass the time and feel powerful, and he'd started playing it with you. Parties like that weren't allowed. If he got bored, he would have accused you of bringing in the alcohol and laughed while the Watch hauled you out and beat you."

"Maybe that doesn't matter to you because you were just passing through, but if you had been dismissed from the tower, you wouldn't have been allowed to visit me again," Hakon said, his face clouded and downcast. "Not that you had any intention of doing so, with that sunderscrap in your pocket."

"I would never have hurt you, lad. Not at that time, before your treachery became impossible for me to overlook." It was a weak statement. It was the first thing he'd said that wasn't factual. It wasn't even falsifiable. It was just him stating something with no proof to back it up, and it was weakened further by his conduct today, and he knew it.

He looked away from Ajax, down and to the side, confessing a shameful fact to the portion of the room that had no people in it: "I cared for you. I protect those I care for, and I punish criminals. If my conduct to you seems confusing or unbecoming, you were in one category, and now you're in the other."
Last edited by Hakon on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 419
Andros

Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:57 am

o----(::::::::::>

“You did hurt me, Hakon. On purpose, to intimidate me. How can you act like it didn’t happen?”

Ajax said it quietly. It didn’t need to be long or eloquent because it was obviously true. Hakon must have known it too, or else he’d have made eye contact while he said it.

Andros watched the two men carefully as they spoke. He noted body language, how Ajax drew in a little when he spoke about Hakon assault, how Hakon’s shoulders stooped at the same time, almost as if he’d been struck. That would be fear and shame respectively, if he was reading them right.

One thing was abundantly clear. Hakon - oafish, earnest Hakon - had fallen spectacularly in love with his grandson. He wore it on his face, nearly said it out loud, and it was the only thing that could explain his overinflated sense of betrayal. Then he blew it rather spectacularly too, roughing Ajax up in a jealous pique. Now he was making excuses for himself.

“You did, Hakon. That seems to be the crux of the matter, doesn’t it,” Andros pronounced. Then he stood and started to pace.

“You saw a boy you cared for flirting with another man, a villain perhaps but that excuses nothing. You pushed him around, hurt him a bit to just scare him. You were jealous and angry, and maybe you really wouldn’t have taken it further. You’re a man of your word.”

He gave Hakon that much, then he twisted the knife. “Did you consider that Ajax was a frightened teenager who’d just been tortured? That he had no way to know if you’d stop at shoving? His theft and flight were an overreaction, yes, but he believed he was in danger and that’s your fault. I don’t have it in me to blame Ajax because you couldn’t control your temper. You owe him a real apology, Hakon.”

He let that sink in, then continued. “Still, a theft occurred and we will make it right. Give me the number and we will find a way to pay you back.”

He turned his gaze to Ajax. “As for the sunderscrap, it was a low thing to take it off the man who’d saved your life but I’ll agree you have about as much claim to it as he does. I think you ought to apologize properly for taking it and then we can discuss what to do with it.”

Ajax had been watching Andros intently and knew exactly what he was doing. He’d seen his grandfather in action many times, settling village disputes as a boy and negotiating sales as a man. He knew Andros had hit on a solution that gave everybody what they needed and still saw justice done.

It was fair and Ajax must have known it. Andros hadn’t dismissed Ajax’s pain and fear, nor had he let him off the hook for sneaking about with the scrap. Ajax complied without hesitation.

“Yes, Pappa,” Ajax agreed, then he turned to face Hakon. “I’m sorry I took the scrap and didn’t tell you. I wasn’t in my right mind, but that’s no excuse. I apologize for the trouble I caused you. You didn’t deserve that after you saved my life.”

Then he and Andros waited. Was Hakon man enough to admit what he’d done without the lame excuses? Would he take this deal - which generously left out today’s assault - or dig in his heels?

Created by Moop!
word count: 632
Hakon

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:07 pm

Hakon frowned.

"I hadn't meant to..." he trailed off.

Intentions didn't matter. Actions did. If he were sparring with Ajax and he broke the boy's arm by accident would he try to deflect blame from himself, or would he help? He would help. This was no different.

He looked at Ajax, trying to make eye contact. If he could face down someone in combat, he could be brave and apologize to a man he'd wronged.

"I'm sorry I frightened you. I did not think you would have reason to be scared of me, because I thought you knew I would not harm you. I was wrong. I wish you had told me I'd scared you, but if you were already worried that I'd harm you, ah. I understand why you got away from me instead, to protect yourself."

The realization that he'd broken his own heart by behaving like a lout was not a sweet one. He'd never liked someone in the way he'd liked Ajax, since. There had been moments, perhaps. Intimations, suggestions, flickerings of warmth toward people, but he hadn't let himself feel that way. He was uncertain why his heart was so cold when other people's seemed to stir at the slightest indication by comparison, but he was equally uncertain what to do about it.

"As for repayment, I don't care about the money. Had Ajax asked for it from me at the time, it would have been freely given. I have up to now had little use for money, anyhow, so repayment in this way does not matter. The stone is another matter. I made it by killing Alecto, and I have use for it now. It's mine by right, and wearing it around like a good luck charm could have the opposite effect."

Hakon's face clouded. He wanted to say more, but there were oaths to consider.

"I wish I could say more on this matter, but I am struggling to figure out how to do so without bringing more risk to you and your family."
word count: 364
Andros

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:23 pm

Some of the tension left the room. Andros could feel it, and he could see it in Ajax’s body language. The boy seemed choked up all of a sudden and he broke eye contact with Hakon, looking at the ground.

“Thanks for saying that, Hakon. You saved me and I’ll never forget it. I wish things hadn’t ended like they did.” He continued, rather sadly, “I still dream about her every week, sometimes every day. And about you. How you killed her. How brave you were.” He wiped a tear out of the corner of his eye. Andros noticed but perhaps Hakon didn’t. Even as a young man, Ajax was still sensitive.

“I don’t think you know how much the scrap means to me,” Ajax added. “It really does protect me. I can’t make you believe it, but I do. Please let me keep it.”

It seemed like the part of this fight that was an awful, painful ordeal was ending. Ajax and Hakon were more upset than angry. No serious harm had been done. Now it was time to repair relations. This is Andros’ bread and butter. If he can reconcile two families in a generational blood feud, he can reconcile these two idiots and repair his friendship with Hakon. He quickly cut off further discussion before Hakon could argue back.

“Boys,” he said firmly, “I need a drink. Watching my old friend and my darling grandson fight in my store is too much for an old man. Let’s sit in the office and talk like civilized people. Ajax, will you fetch us some wine and glasses from upstairs? Red. Something good.”

Ajax turned and walked to the stairs up to the living quarters and out of sight. Andros led Hakon into the “office”, a tiny back room with a round table and three chairs. This was Dorothea’s and Ajax's domain, where they kept the books and managed the finances. The table was stacked high with papers that were all but meaningless to Andros but kept everything running smoothly. Two tall filing cabinet in the corner were bursting with more of the same.

Andros rarely came in here except to answer questions and do the quarterly business review. Upstairs would have been more comfortable, of course, but the last thing this delicate situation needed was to give Dorothea a chance to get mad at her son. They’d been getting along so much better lately and Andros wouldn’t jeopardize it.

He sat down in one of the chairs and indicated Hakon should do the same. Then leaned back with a heavy sigh.

“So, you’re in love with my grandson then? Or you were, anyway.” Hakon looked horrified and opened his mouth to argue or confess, Andros wasn’t sure which. But Andros cut him off. It wasn’t really what he wanted to discuss, just something to throw Hakon a bit off balance so he’d be more receptive to Andros’ real question.

“Relax, lad, your heart isn’t my business. We don’t have to talk about that. We do have to talk about that scrap, though. What exactly do you need it for? Ajax didn’t sell it and I don’t see why you would either. Tell me if you won’t tell Ajax.”

Created by Moop!
Last edited by Andros on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 593
Hakon

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:48 pm

The little office was stuffy and cramped, but this was not the sort of thing he minded. His Warden's office was barely more than a closet, and his quarters were little more than a cell. While Hakon had glimpses of luxury, it was not part of his everyday life, and it was not something he valued.

Andros' questions were a thornier matter, however.

He wasn't supposed to say. There weren't that many rules in the Endornotkun, but the ones they did have were stringent and without exception. Follow the mission of the sect, do as you're told, and above all else, tell no one anything of your mission. Even other members. If they needed to know, they would be informed by someone of higher rank. As a lowly Initiate, this meant Hakon could tell no one of anything he was assigned to do. He could send letters in code to his superior if he had instructions that he needed to follow, and due to his new assignment he would occasionally be working side by side with Lady Byqvist herself, but he knew better than to try and chitchat with someone of her position.

He wasn't in Northradica to charm or flatter or impress with his social graces. He was here to work for her, and work for her he would.

Still, Andros was his oldest friend, and was becoming a merchant of some renown. Hakon had thought he could perhaps see about his friend's worthiness as a Sponsor for the cause. They had need of wealthy international merchants, after all. So perhaps he could test the weaters, and if Andros were receptive, his name could be passed up to someone with the authority to issue an invitation.

With great effort, and painfully slow narration, he went through what he could say.

"A noblewoman with strong ties to the Guild has allowed me unprecedented free rein within Radenor and even Daravin, with permission. I was honored to accept her proposition but there are, ah, stipulations. For one thing, I must physically return to a tower at least once per month. In this way, I am not being granted greater privilege than a Fellow. For another, I must provide her certain things. Things like the stone Ajax wears around his neck. Not a small number of them, either. In their retrieval, I am to practice and hone my own skills."

So saying, he let out a long sigh. He hadn't technically breached his oath. He hadn't said that he'd been ordered to produce sunderscraps, or that he was a Sunderer. He had merely intimated it.

"So having more can only help me. The consequences for failure will be steep."
word count: 464
Andros

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:32 pm

Retrieval? That was quite the euphemism. Andros knew these scraps could only be taken off a mage’s corpse. Hakon was a killer, that was his job. He hadn’t known he was a sunderer, but it made sense. Andros never really approved, but on the other hand you can’t argue with results. If Hakon hadn’t been so good at murdering mages, Ajax would be dead.

Sometimes it seemed like there were two Hakons. The loyal friend and devoted companion who’d take you out riding or make the hours fly by in a tavern; and the ruthless killer who had no problem putting down rogues and iconoclasts and boasting about it later. He could see why Ajax went for the former and got the hell out of dodge when the latter showed his face. Andros had gotten used to the dichotomy years ago. He cared for Hakon despite his dark side.

As Andros considered what to do, Ajax walked in. He politely served the older men glasses first, then poured a glass for himself and sat down.

“Hakon was telling me that he’s expected to provide a certain number of sunderscraps to his patron here in Oxentide, and if he doesn’t he’ll be in some trouble with her…or is it with the guild? Anyway, you can see why he wants it back so badly. It’s his profession after all. He takes it as seriously as you and I take our business.”

Ajax took a sip of his wine and reached for the spot where the sunderscrap ought to be around his neck. He’d normally fiddle with it if he felt uncomfortable, as he did right then.

“Yes, Pappa. I’m sure it’s important to him. It’s important to me, too. It’s the most important thing I own, actually. I won’t part with it, not for anything.”

You will if I say so, boy, Andros thought, but didn’t say. Andros didn’t like the implication that Ajax was in charge of this situation, rather than himself. He was a little angry at Ajax, on balance. He should have known better than to take the sunderscrap, whatever he thought his claim was. He was smart enough to be scared of Hakon at the tower and he should have been smart enough to be scared of him at the witch’s lair. But of course he was so young at the time, and had just been traumatized. Andros had to remember that and tread gently.

“Yes yes, I understand. Now tell me Hakon, how many of these do you need? And by when? Is your shortfall so severe that you absolutely must have this one - which, I will remind you, you didn’t know you’d find here until 20 minutes ago?”

Created by Moop!
word count: 507
Hakon

Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:32 pm

Hakon shook his head to Andros' question. "I have only just arrived in Northradica, my friend. My situation is hardly so dire as all that. I shall provide four this season, six in Searing, eight in Ash, and then eight in every season thereafter unless or until I hear otherwise."

"Potential targets that are strong or that have multiple marks are of heightened interest. Weaker targets are lower value, but as long as I meet the requirements, I am being allowed a good deal of freedom. Once I establish my residence here in Northradica, my plan is to hunt for some of the rogues that have been giving the local tower some trouble for a few seasons, then make an excursion or two into Daravin."

"That place is lousy with rogues, and there's a list of wanted targets who wrought havoc or escaped from the four kingdoms in Daravin as long as my," he caught Ajax eyeing him and spluttered, coughing a bit. He recovered and went on: "Arm. As long as I track down two to three targets per month, I should be fine."

He did not feel nearly so confident in his ability to do this as he was letting on. He was a capable warrior, but he was no huntsman, and he was not a savvy politician. He was used to being provided targets and then being dispatched to strike. The freedom to find his own targets also meant the freedom to fail, and if he failed, the consequences could be dire.
word count: 264
Andros

Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:49 pm

The solution occurred to Andros in a flash. It always did. He would collect the facts, read between the lines, and something would just jump out on him. And usually it worked. He won’t pretend he was a perfect Village Headman. They did force him to retire after all, and there were some disputes that were beyond his power to resolve. But he was pretty good and he had decades of experience on both of these men.

Andros looked at Ajax. “You want to keep that scrap, boy, correct? Would you make sacrifices to keep it? Would you work for it?”

Ajax looked as though he had figured where Andros was going. He’d learned to do that by observing the older man in action over the past few years. Andros’ solutions were logical, but the better he knew his target the better they worked. Those solutions could come from the heart.

“Yes, Pappa. Whatever I need to do. It’s worth it to me.”

“Good,” Andros replied. Then he turned to Hakon. “You need sunderscraps. Ajax needs his Alecto back. I need you two to reconcile so I don’t have conflict in my family - and I do include you in that category, lad. Not by blood, but still.”

He put his hands on the table, palms up. “You have the sunderscrap Ajax wants. Ajax has nothing to trade. He can’t give you its value to buy another. And what do I have?” He grinned. “I have Ajax.”

The boy nodded. He saw what was coming. He wasn’t sure he was on board, but he’d deduced it correctly. Hakon, by contrast, looked baffled, so Andros spelled it out.

“If you will give Ajax back his sunderscrap, I will send him with you to work as your assistant on your hunt for rogues. He can carry your things, cook your meals, back you up in an emergency, whatever’s needed. He’s responsible and hard-working. I know he wasn’t when you met him, but I’m a man of my word and I can vouch for him. If your route takes you by sea, he is also a capable pilot and sailor and we have the use of a boat and crew until they are ready to depart for Teos in six weeks, at which time I’ll need Ajax back anyway.”

Ajax visibly tensed up. Hearing Andros spell things out must have made it all sound too real. For his benefit, Andros went on. “You will promise to bring him back in one piece, and just to be crystal clear, not to lay a hand on him under any circumstances. And I want you to teach him how to fight, too. He needs that confidence. His father wasn’t a fighter and he never learned properly. What do you say?”

Created by Moop!
word count: 511

Return to “The Kyngdom of Northradica”