The Retribution Contract

The realms of North Daravin, ruled more directly by the Emperor.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Salen
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1657
Plot Notes: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=1709&p=7409#p7409
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1686

Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:02 am

39th Ash, 4622

Salen was tired, tired of all the politics, tired of all the obstacles that were in his way. He needed to dispose of them somehow. The grief of his lover proved to be the most challenging thing to deal with, although he had used many things as a coping mechanism. Sex, debauchery, studying the dark arts of necromancy and much more.

He was at his breaking point and things were only about to get worse. He was rife with anger, grief, depression and most of all he had the desire for revenge. The rage surged through him as he had received a letter from an unknown mailer, asking him to meet him within the confines of the Underworld’s hunting grounds in Genteven. He stared at the letter for a moment, knowing that he had only just arrived in Genteven, returning to Hugo as he had promised.

Instead, he makes a quick stop in the hideout to see the problem going forth and it appears that there are a few problems undergoing. As he inserted his Scaeva Emblem into the secret door, he would feel a presence watching him. He narrowed his eyes for a moment, before turning his back and opening the door, in which there were two double doors. Salen slammed them open as Synthar and Andre were awakened rudely by their presence “Whoa… Salen?” Andre spoke as he could feel the anger rushing in against Salen.

“Your leader wanted to see me…”

“Rene?”

Salen headed down the corridor as he bursted through the trapdoor to the Veir’s home. This appeared to be a great hideout that he had designed, underneath a decadent mansion that he had acquired from various contracts he had employed. The man who owned the place appeared to be of great importance to the Veir people, with his talent of controlling information throughout the area, so much that he may have become a threat to House Demarik, but Salen didn’t know about the competition that a Corvo must face, only that he was exceptionally powerful now.

His steps appeared to be brash and clumsy as the trapdoor was heavy, he was eventually heard by the mystery male behind him as he spoke out in annoyance “I wish for you to be more courteous as you step into my house…” A man spoke in a Gentevarese accent as he sat behind the chair. He moved himself from the armchair and turned around, smiling “Ahh yes, I remember you… Salen isn’t it? The one I have been watching through the Reverie…” He said with a toothy grin, his wolfish eyes were fixated on Salen as he began to suspect that he was different amongst other Entente.

A predatory visage he had, although his eyes appeared to have had a strong effect upon Salen as he was more drawn to them, indicating that his Beguiler was much stronger than his. A will developed for the control and satisfaction of Corvo.

“How do you know my name?”

“When you travel the Reverie you come across all kinds of things, such as your ability to adapt yourself to harsh situations, for example your current arrangement with Hugo. You know how to draw others to you with your words, cunning and intellectual being. You’ll go far, Salen… As a brother of Scaeva, myself, I understand the many trials and pain we have endured…”

“Why couldn’t we have this conversation like normal beings?”

“To protect my current position, you see… I’m a Veir as well, I must protect my political rite as one too… These are the challenges Corvano and Corvani face. Like the Candor, we evaluate who stays and who goes from our court… Liabilities are heavily tested.”

“Liabilities such as?” Salen retorted.

The wolvish half-rathor chuckled to himself “And yet, it seems patience is not a virtue in this one… But who can blame someone who’s been so abused by the confines of society that his only way his mind would find peace is through perpetual anarchy.”

“And yet you’ve been examining my head too much, I suggest you stop there…”

“Perhaps… But I suggest one thing… Why spill a drop of blood from your hands when you have others to do it for you…” The male smirked, “You have the perfect weapon to use against them.”

Salen remained in thought for a moment and smirked at the idea that he could do that, but he wanted to know how? Why would they do that? “Alright, I’ll listen… I’ll take a leaf out of your book for once.”

“Fear…” He simply spoke.

“Fear?”

“What do they fear most? Heretics… The people of Daravin have an inferiority complex.”

“So, you’re saying… We play the Candor against them, but instead win the favor of thousands of others through the use of blackmail.”

“Exactly how my ex-wife does it… And still does to this day, except she has created enemies for herself. She lacks subtlety, character and has betrayed half of Daravin already…”

“Who is she?”

“Your old keeper, your sire… The holder of House Senerite… You know damn well who…”

“I see you’ve already memorised and mapped my entire brain by now.” Salen sounded agitated, however this was his comeuppance for dragging Vivian through the mindscape, for altering Vassilios’ memory to hide the detail of his blight and the many other mindscapes he had visited.

“You're also the heir of a Veiren house that has been long relinquished from records…”

“Next you're going to cite how many victims I’ve killed, how many people I’ve fucked, and it appears that you are enjoying this far too much.”

“Far too many, slut.”

“Takes one to know one.” Salen retorted with a smirk.

“I see how it is… You’ve won this time.”

“Go on… My patience is wearing thin… What did you actually summon me here for…”

“To make you an offer, I’ll find a way to revive your house in exchange for fulfilling this contract.”

Salen furrowed his eyebrows as he was given this hope of promise to fulfil, but how was he supposed to know he would grant that promise? He had been betrayed too many times, firstly by Dahlia, by Degare, by other Veir who wished to get their hands on riches.

“Don’t make promises you can’t keep. It’ll only lead to disappointment.”

“You have my word, Salen… Truely.”

“How do I know?”

Rene would eventually reveal the contract to him, a paper with a sketch of Dahlia’s face upon it. He narrowed his eyebrows, realising that it was the traitoress that began all of this. The traitress that brought all of this upon Salen and now there was a chance for revenge. A chance to legally fulfill an assassination against her.

He had been waiting for this moment, but it could only be too good to be true. Salen would pace back and forth in thought, having some doubt in imbuing this contract “She’s a powerful Remnomancer and an exceptional mage for a Veir… I… I don’t think so… I can’t.”

“You’ve defeated the other Veir, they had even more powerful magic than yours… You’re capable and you’re an exceptional Remnomancer now…”

“It’ll be a gamble, like rolling the dice… I don’t think I’ll make it.”

“You won’t with that attitude.” The male shrugged.

“Hubris is the essence of carelessness…”

“Her hubris has condemned her to death… She is bound to make a few mistakes, just be smarter than her. I’ve examined your intelligent nature, you’re far better than she is!” The male’s eyes would meet as he would grab Salen’s jaw, turning it to his direction, staring deeply into his eyes as he initiated Beguiler upon him, this time it was irresistible, he had no self-control, just the will to compel to his desire as the half Rathor spoke his demand “You must kill her, that will be your only chance of resurrection of power.” He would feel the same urge to feel compelled to accept the contract.

He had the desire for her death and the desire to live on in power, but yet he needed to fulfill that contract. A dangerous proposal that the male had inflicted upon him and yet he couldn’t resist.

He had succumbed.

“It is done…”

He released Salen from his grip as he wandered over back to his armchair “Oh and… I’m holding a soiree in a week’s time… Do come along, I will be bringing some guests. Important ones…”

Salen nodded as he took the contract, but he couldn’t help that he had been beguiled with the same effects of the others he bestowed the ability upon. Now he knew exactly how it felt and thus leaving this he would realize that he can also be a victim to succumbing to his own desires.

Caution was advised.

word count: 1519
Fortuna

Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:32 am

YOUR REVIEW❊

Salen

Lores
Spycraft: Keep Contract Information Confidential.
Spycraft: Bounties are a good source of information
Spycraft: Knowing the details of a contract
Spycraft: Knowing the whereabouts of hideouts and gatherings.
Spycraft: Attending gatherings.
Spycraft: Information is Power in Daravin's Politics

Loot: Bounty
Injuries: N/A

Points 5XP nonmagic

Comments:
chug a lug a

word count: 82

Return to “The Northern Marches”