A Researches Challenge

The Southern Crown of Radenor.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

kayleth
Character Sheet: http://viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2233

Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:03 pm

Glade 5 4623

The Artificer pulled a seat adjacent to Arin. The help made a visible look of concern as Arin waved them off. “My Lord, before I was rescued from the oppression of the Court of Night and took asylum here in Radenor I studied Fragmenting. Now, I truly understand the implications those words might have here in Radenor. A craft that sits adjacent to the visceral forces of raw magic, that is now why I am here today.”

He began to pull the many organized pages of parchment he had and the few charcoal pencils he made in addition to the notebook in which he stored most of his insights about his future projects. “I have a novice practical understanding of artificng and while I am sure that I do not properly understand the gravity of what I am asking to build for this village in which I have come to call home, I would like aid and permission to construct a grain mill.”

Arin sat back in his large double-armed chair and folded his arm as Kayleth animatedly talked about his notes. It was clear to the Reeves that the Elf was an academic mostly however, he did not feel that honest hard labor was lost on him. He raised a hand to silence him for a moment.

“Kayleth, it is true that anything having to do with magic is not only frowned upon but also highly regulated and met with stigma. Just as well, I am sympathetic to your lack of understanding in these matters.” He paused for a moment to consider his words and began to talk once more. “Why not work the land and learn the required skills to make Nurin a stone mill instead of tainting the work with magic?”

The young man knew it would be difficult to convince the Reeves on the subject but, he did not come to this meeting without arguments of his own. “I have always been of the opinion that artificing and fragmenting were meant to help the everyday man. Not wage war or be used to corrupt the natural order of things. Between the two disciplines, the quality of life and productivity of the town and its people could leap forward into a new era. Every home is warmed by the warmth of pyrestones or fields nurtured and watered arcanacrags that perform those functions. The dangers of logging mitigated if not removed with the use of such aides like saws that can be placed and moved or even as simple as carriages and carts that move without aid.”

Kayleth’s passion for the improvement of the people was clear. There was no ulterior motive behind his words. “Your Lordship, for the first time in my life I have the knowledge to make things better. Something I was never able to do before.”

Arin stroked his beard with folded arms. He respected the straightforwardness of the elf. And believed his desire. It was not unheard of for magic to be in Radinor. The towers themselves were proof of that. World magic was also looked at with less scrutiny than the heretical other magics.

“Kayleth, you make many lofty promises. I fear though you do not understand what you are saying you can achieve. It is clear you are well educated for not having any formal academic training. Although, you have not spoken of numbers. Are you even familiar with the requirements of this town and what we produce seasonally for the Capital?”

Kayleth shook his head softly. “As I thought. Bjorn, bring me the books.” The servant let out a mild exclamation. “Sir..” Arin looked at him with a quick turn of his head. No words but a full understanding between the two came to pass.

Several scrolls were brought forth and a few books were detailed each over a different export. As well as agreements for the town at large. Arin began to explain this all as he flipped through the pages. Making sure to go into detail about crop yields, requirements, seasons that had good yields, and many other factors.

While it was not the type of mathematics Kayleth was used to it did not go over his head. “I am impressed that you are not confused by my ramblings. These things here are what I am trying to impart to you. I admire your desire to improve this village, especially as an outsider but, you lack a fundamental understanding of where your skills would be needed.”

Kayleth took in what he could. “Would you allow me time to understand what you have presented me as well as reframe my request in a manner that better meets your needs? I should say four hours will suffice.”

Bjorn spoke up with contempt. “You could not possibly comprehend…” “BJORN!”

“Forgive my head of the house. He speaks his mind in my stead, sometimes too much. I will make you a deal. If you can come up with a viable strategy to increase the yield of just one export from the information here. I will consider your town project with more weight.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

With that Arin got up from the table and motioned for Bjorn to accompany him. Kayleth looked at the several documents in front of him and let out a sigh before adjusting his glasses. Cursory glances gave him a rough understanding. He had his own methods of grouping things together. The first hour was spent doing this and making sure the different items were placed in relationship to one another. After that Kayleth spent the rest of the time making sure he understood the trends and relationships between the information that was given to him. Some things were lost on him that he did not have personal experience with but, there was a clear direction that his research took him.

After some time Arin arrived back at his home. The tired look in Kayleth’s eyes signaled to him that either he spent every bit of concentration he had or the task was too great for him. “I see the challenge I set forth for you has taken its toll.”

Kayleth stretched his arms since he had not really moved from that spot since the Reeves left. “Yes sir, I wanted to make sure that I got it correct. This is different than my usual work but, I am sure that I have a solid understanding of what has been going on here in Nurin.”

Arin stroked his white beard with satisfaction and a glint in his eye. “Aye, then let us hear what you have to propose over dinner. Bjorn, prepare an extra meal this evening. There is the business to be had.”

It did not take long for the two to be conversing over the expertly prepared meal. “So Elf, what do you make of the way things are here.” The juice from a slap of meat dribbled down his lips as he continued to eat comfortably.

Kayleth choked down what was on his fork and swigged some water. “Yes sir, from what I can see the Capital has incrementally increased the requirements of Nurin over the course of several years. While the population of Nurrin has steadily grown to match. These two numbers alone prevent Nurin from developing further past its size alone. Additionally, it seems that the fields have yielded significantly less bi-annually. I do not know much about agriculture but, I am sure Bane Brec would have ideas as to why. His fields seasonally have produced the highest regardless of quota.”

“That is well put. I am surprised to see you grasp the situation so well. The people of Nurin are not in poverty nor are they thriving. We are required by law and duty to provide for the Capital. It is a small cog of a much larger machine. So you now see why projects of the scale you speak of require substantial investment and merit.”

The young Artificer finished chewing a side of chicken that tasted better than anything he ate in a long time. The flavor was distracting as he savored the fatty and salty bits on his tongue. “Yes Sir, I do understand the point of view that you are trying to make. However..” He grabbed some notes he made that laid out a steady trend. “If you see here Sir, on the current projection if nothing else changes you will not be able to maintain what is required of the village. Additionally, when we ship the grain and hay from here there is always a loss due to transport costs as well as decay as not every shipment makes it at standard. Processing things here would help mitigate both of these costs.” Kayleth paused for a moment and began to speak at speed.

“It is even plausible to think that a single man with the aid of tools I design can cut half of all the fields in Nurin within a day. Let alone process it into flour at double that speed. What I am trying to get at is eventually it will pay for itself and we can keep the overhead cost low and keep the extra product. Assuming the Brec’s are willing to impart their knowledge of how they maintain such a healthy crop. An incentive might help in that regard.”

Arin let out a boisterous laugh. “I like you Kayleth of Sil’ Elian. You speak as passionately about things as your Grandfather once did. Aye, I knew him but, only by name and happenstance. He belonged to the Mages Guild here in Rad so if you have questions about him you’ll need to find the answers there.”

He finished the food in front of him and grabbed a cup of mead. “Before I agree to pursue this I need a second opinion. It will take some time for me to call the man I am thinking of. Come back here in five days' time and we will have an answer about if you can build this machine of yours for Nurin.”

Kayleth’s pointy ears perked up and his overall attitude. A weight dropped from his shoulders and he felt as if he could breathe again. “Thank you Sir, you will not regret this!”
word count: 1718

Return to “The Kyngdom of Sheorlund”