The Presentation

The Southern Crown of Radenor.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

kayleth
Character Sheet: http://viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2233

Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:45 pm

Glade 5, 4623

Despite staying up until the wax from candles was gone with Ciara talking about various plants and the uses and ailments they can help with as well as where to find them and how to identify them, Kayleth woke up rested. He rubbed the night's slumber from his eyes and stretched. He glanced over at the stack of notes on the bedside table in the cozy room at the inn. Not only was he running low on paper he was also in desperate need of a place to organize all of the notes he took, from botany to entomology, to agriculture, even as far-reaching as runic script and artifcing. He started to rack up quite the archival collection.

Today is the day I present my idea to the Reeves.

The cultural barrier of using artificing in Radenor would be a hard sell. However, Kayleth was confident that if he approached things from a production and quality of life standpoint, the Reeves would heavily consider his proposal. Not to mention the project would create several job requests that could be used to pay the town. He looked over at his satchel from across the room. Inside his only notebook that contained an elaborately well-thought-out plan for the construction of a stone mill for the town.

He spent several days calculating what he thought would be needed and would enjoy a second opinion on the matter. Not to mention the ability to actually construct it. Perhaps the capital might even send the town a artificer to aid in the construction. Although, Kayleth was unsure if Radenor even had such people. It would not be a far stretch to say they would be with the Mage’s Towers if anywhere. Regardless, it was for the town and the right reasons. That had to be worth something.

He went to grab his notebook to review the presentation and the details he wanted to go over. The plan started with getting the Reeves to allow him to use Artificing. Not only that but, requesting an advisor as well. Kayleth had no tools for the job. He would request a team of individuals to help with the project. A masonry, carpenter, smith, and even a tailor for the fabrics needed. The project was large for such a small village but the benefit it would bring far outweighed the investment.

He pulled a sheet from the stack of notes that were intermixed with the botany pages. They were entomology drawings and rough sketches of the different anatomical parts to them. I would like to create something that used nature's own designs. However, my knowledge of the subject is lacking and require a broader understanding of the many species and niches they exhibit.

The basis of grinding grains into flour was smashing them between two stones that are carved with grooves that align and push the product out. The small mandibles of ant-like insects were great for cutting but that landed itself better to something like tree cutting. However, there was one that he started to study but did not get the time to properly observe. It bore holes into the wood of trees and sometimes even the processed wood at the lumber yard. It was a boring beetle. At least, that was what Kayleth was calling it. He knew there were proper names for many things but, lacked the proper research. He could see the mouth but without magnification and observation, he would struggle to replicate the function in his design. Regardless he neatly placed everything into his pack and got up for the day.

He walked across the room and grabbed a small pale of water to wash up before getting dressed. He grabbed his things and paid the inn keeper. His travels back and forth from his home and his presence in town made him something adjacent to a local. He could tell by the way the people treated him. At first, there was a distance but, day by day, and as the seasons changed he felt that distance shrinking.

“Thank you, Birger. As usual, the hospitality was as one could expect for where we are.”

The hefty man let out a laugh. “Oi! Kayleth, I never know what you mean by your twisted words. Are yah comin' back tonight out what?”

“I apologize but, I do not know at this moment if I will be staying for this evening. I suspect I will this afternoon when I get done speaking with Arin Thorn.”

His ears perked up. Many if not all the villagers had a deep respect for Arin and what he and his family have done for them. “Oh I don’t fancy being you then this afternoon. A bit of advice for an adolescent elf. Don’t be using any of your confusing word tricks on him. Thorn is a straightforward man that can smell shit even after you washed up before. Oi! And mind your manners, that man has done great things for this village!.”

The young artrificer let out a chuckle before tossing some dinars to the innkeeper and grabbing fruit off the countertop. “I am indebted to you for the advice, Birger. Have a pleasant day.” With that he set out the door determined to push forward.

Dressed in his usual disheveled cape and black attire he arrived at the only stone-made building in the entire village. The home of Arin Thorn, was much larger than all the other homes which made sense as he was the Reeves. The construction was more advanced than a significant amount of the buildings as well. Two stories of quarried stone hammered to fit together. A large front entrance with a mud room entrance around the back as well as cellar access. While rare, glass windows were not for the elite of Radenor. It was not that the home was lavish but, more so that compared to the rest of the village the quality of life was very different. That was not Arin’s fault or at least all of it was not. More so it was the fault of a mad Monarchy. In the insect world, a queen that is not producing would be ousted if only the people of Nurin had that same sentiment.

Kayleth knocked on the large double pine doors. The knocker gave an eagle motif. He observed all the intricacies of the facades and was amazed by their construction. I would love to meet the team of people who created this. There is so much I could learn from them. Among other things, architecture, and the home building was something that he wanted to get into but had not started except for the basics that his own studies had let him come across.

The door opened as he was mid-thought to the primary housekeeper of Arin Thorn. “Good day to you, unless my knowledge is wrong am I to presume you are the elf that requested an audience with the Reeves this afternoon?”

“Yes sir, I trust there were no issues with my request to take up some of the time of the Reeves.”

The servant drew a long eye and an arched brow. “While the method by which you made your request is acceptable. I would warn you to be concise with your words. Rare is it that an outsider is invited to the home of his Lordship. However, upon review of your history as well as a few supportive words from people you have interacted with Master Thorn has agreed to hear you out on this matter.”

Kayleth bowed with humility. “Thank you for taking the time to explain the situation to me.”

The servant was already walking down the hall as he beckoned the boy to come in. “Keep up, we do not have all day.”

As they rounded the corner they came to a large dining area where Arin Thorn was finishing up his elaborate meal of roasted foul, various vegetables, quality grain made here in Nurin, and some mead. Kayleth also noted the distinct shape and signs of Ciarra’s bread. A slight smirk across his face.

“I was wondering when I would get to meet the infamous elf everyone around the village talked about. Have not had one around in some time. Most come to see me or at the very least request citizenship with me before doing as they please.” A stern stare cased Kayleth. Arin looked to a nearby servant and gestured to clear the table with one hand and at Kayleth to come forward with the other.

The elf stepped forward with research in tow. He performed a polite bow before speaking. “Your Lordship, allow me to apologize for my breach of courtesy. The traditions of this land are quite different from those where I come from. However, I do understand that is no excuse for my ignorance. I humbly beg your discretion regarding my previous disrespect.”

Arin was a stoic-looking man in his early forties. His aura was intimidating like a lake that was too deep to see the bottom of. The passage of time on his face was evident as well as the harsh winters. He was more well-groomed than the rest of the village and there was a certain air of dignity and grace about him. His voice was deep, clear, and direct. Which pared well with his overall physique. Crystal-clear blue eyes appraised Kayleth with every action he took and the young man could tell he was being read.

“I am not ignorant of your situation, Kayleth. Your Grandfather served the Kyngdom and garnered a level of trust, at least with me. The reason you are here today is partly due to his reputation. Just as well, a few in the village have spoken for you. Now, tell me what it is you wish to discuss today.” His eyes bared down with intensity. Kayleth could feel his body stressed and his heart racing.

“Yes, your Grace.”
word count: 1675

Return to “The Kyngdom of Sheorlund”