[Memory] The Purloined Keepsake pt III [tw: violence]

The Eastern Crown of Radenor.

Moderators: Architect, Staff

Hakon
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2309
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2314

Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:30 am

Hakon opened his mouth and then closed it again. He was shocked that Andros would even, could even suggest such a thing. It was so outlandish that it wasn't even tempting. Had Andros started with something smaller -- a quiet few minutes unsupervised to enjoy the sunset, perhaps -- Hakon could have acquiesced but this was much too much, and it closed him off to the smaller temptation of a night off.

"You have seen, Andros, how much havoc mages can wreak upon the world, and you would set me loose? Truly, you believe this to be a good idea? The first thing I did without Heinrich was prove how brutish I am, how bestial. No, Sir, I will return to my Guild, and I will take my punishment for my dereliction of duty to Heinrich, and I will live as I have. To suggest otherwise, to do anything other than this, would be an insult to Heinrich's memory."

Hakon took a large breath in, and released it out. He was not used to talking of Heinrich in the past tense. "I apologize once again, Andros. It has been a difficult day, and you are, I suppose, trying to help. But no, my duty is to the people of Jorikford, and my place is in the Guild. I wish I could have a life like yours -- a large family that I lead and care for -- but that is not possible, as I am, and I would not do well across the border in Daravin, even if I were interested in becoming an Iconoclast and being hunted down by my brethren," he added with a grim smile on his lips. "I scarcely tolerate the company of other mages in the Guild, where they are properly regulated. Seeing them wander around freely? I could not bear such a thing."

"I, in turn, have a proposition for you, while we are on the subject of our unsupervised time together. It's about the cargo. All of this will go to the guild. I have no great understanding of commerce, Sir, but I do not believe that these spoils are sorely needed by us, and I have not yet taken inventory with all the confusion after Heinrich's death. Perhaps I am mistaken about what's in the back of the wagon -- perhaps it is eleven boxes, and not twelve as I initially thought when I loaded them in. I grew up quite poor, and I judge your life in Radenor to not be an easy one. If you wish to recover a bit more from Otho than you started with as recompense for all of this, I will not quarrel with you on this."
word count: 459
Andros
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=2332

Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:07 pm

Andros felt close to forming a real connection with Hakon, close to breaking through the chasms of age, life experience, and values, close to meeting Hakon man-to-man. Then the brainwashing came in again. Hakon really believed the nonsense he was spouting. He took his job seriously, even if it demanded of him things that no one had any right to ask. If Hakon truly felt he didn’t deserve love and a family because of his brand, Andros couldn’t convince him otherwise.

He didn’t try to argue. Instead he gave his view of what he’d seen, very simply.

“You’re not brutish and you’re not responsible for Heinrich’s death. Otho is. You risked your life for me and rid the world of a thief and a murderer. That does honor to you and Henrich’s memory and to all the Scarlet Team. And I will insist on telling the warden that when we arrive back at the tower.”

That was enough on that topic. Hakon was kind of a maniac as far as his organization was concerned, but he was also brave and decent. Andros could not be convinced otherwise.

Hakon’s offer suited Andros quite nicely. It didn’t feel like stealing to take some of the booty liberated from the dead rogue. It felt like proper recompense. He’d already helped himself to some and now Hakon was offering him more. Good. It would set him up better for his journey into Radenor. A peddler without trade goods isn’t much of a peddler, and if he hoped to work his way from peddler to merchant, he’d need all the help he could get.

“I’ll take you up on that, lad. If you’re sure it won’t get you into trouble with the boss. That’s very generous. You’ve been kind to me, Hakon, and I won’t forget it.

word count: 331
Hakon
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2309
Character Secrets: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2314

Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:09 am

Hakon did something unusual in response to Andros' query: he lied. "Do not worry about me, Andros," he said with a smile. "I'm sure my Warden will be pleased that we quelled a rogue."

In truth, the situation would be somewhat more complicated. Hakon's Watchman had been killed, and that would be blamed on him. Whether that meant just a verbal reprimand or something more severe like a flogging or confinement would depend on many factors, including if the Warden took Andros' account as the truth, or gave it any heed at all, and if he believed Hakon had behaved rashly or exercised poor judgment. Hakon was known to be quite sympathetic and friendly to the Scarlet Watch, and he hoped that would go some way in demonstrating this had been an accident.

The thought of never seeing Heinrich again, never hearing him complain about everything under the sun again, never arguing with him or sparring him, made Hakon feel unbearably sad and fatigued. He couldn't exactly explain why -- Heinrich had been a grumpy, angry, supercilious pain in the ass. The thought that his life could be snuffed out by a rogue, though, just like that... his thoughts circled around these themes but found no conclusion.

He hadn't even realized he had fallen asleep until he woke up from an impromptu nap he'd taken on Andros' shoulder. They had returned to the tower.

He helped Andros portion out the trade goods in the back of the wagon, deferring to the peddler on what had been his before Otho had claimed it vs what would go on to be property of the Guild. Then he went to give his report to the Warden, and Andros, true to his word, vouched for him that there was nothing that could have been done for Heinrich. The attack was too fast, and Hakon had already moved to intervene. The fault lie with Heinrich, was the implicit statement, for not getting any varithium out in time and leaving the mage in full control of his powers. The Warden made a disappointed face at him, but any further punishment, at least, was not to be discussed in front of an outsider.

As they left the Warden's office, Hakon extended his hand to Andros. "I cannot offer you much in terms of an extended acquaintance, Andros, but if you wish to stop by here on your travels, I can ensure you have a bed and a meal whenever you need. It was refreshing to spend time with someone who is not from the Guild, or from Jorikford. If you wish to keep in touch, I would look favorably upon letters, as well, and will endeavor to send some of my own if there are places that you can be reliably found."
word count: 478
Treachery

Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:20 pm

The Purloined Keepsake: PT III

Andros & Hakon

Lores
Andros:
  • Appraisal: sensing the presence of a mentalist
  • Persuasion: interrupting a fit of rage without getting murdered
  • Persuasion: calming very angry mages
  • Appraisal: understanding funeral customs in Radenor
  • Business: paying with someone else’s money
  • Animal handling: leading horses through a town
  • Persuasion: comforting the bereaved
  • Storytelling: sharing joy

Hakon:
  • Brand: Matching Ether to Its Source
  • Brand: Devising Inside a Target's Mouth
  • Brand: Using Your Armory with Simple Effectiveness
  • Appraisal: Determining the Worth of Items
  • Appraisal: Determining Goods a Peddler May Want
  • Appraisal: Portioning Out Spoils
  • Investigation: 2 Generic Lore

Loot: N/A
Injuries: +1 Mageblight for Hakon

Hakon - 8 Exp (4 can be used in Brand)

Comments: Time is fleeting, so too does the living wane; It is a shame that by fate's design, life can be quickly taken, snuffing the candle with a wave of one's hand. But lest not forget that in tragic moments, souls have left this world. Let this moment be a reminder that while the world is dangerous and gloomy, so is all its beauty and worth. After all, beauty fades... That is why it is beautiful.

word count: 376

Return to “The Kyngdom of Jorikford”